Fly Tying
Moushka

Creative Fly Tying Tool Holder

I recently received a gift of a custom made Murtle Wood flytying tool caddy created by an artist on the Oregon coast. My friend told me who made it but I promptly forgot where I wrote it down and the piece is not signed.

This gift got me to thinking ...... there must be other artists creatively combining utiliy and beauty to produce one of a kind "working art". I would really like to see pictures other tool caddys and fly tying tools combine art and utility.

I'll post the Murtle Wood tool caddy, although I couldn't obtain a very good picture and it really doesn't do it justice.

post-3453-1142216328_thumb.jpg

That is a lovely pce. of wood used in a complimentary way. Your friend must really appreciate you.

I consider my friends to be the greatest gifts in life. I could go on and on about the wonderful people who have come into my life and all the great things that they have done for me. But there would not be enough room on this page to fit it all! In Alaska friends become family and loyalties run deep.

Thats a really beautifual peice of work, you are a lucky man to have such a talented and thoughtful friend.

Beautiful piece, your friend is pretty talented.. Working art is the perfect way to describe it.. ;)

Thanks for the nice words, but my friend didn't make it and artist on the Oregon coast did.

I am hoping by posting this that others with fly tying working art will post their's so we can all enjoy and get fresh ideas for our own creations.

Sorry Moushka, I misread that.. still a really nice piece.. I have planned to make a small tool caddy this spring, your pic has givin me some idea's.. good thread ;)

Being that I am a carpenter and an amateur woodworker, I would have to saw that is one of the nicest looking tool cadies I have seen.

<_< Nice piece of wood---I have nice piece of burl I sawed off a tree while blackpowder hunting this past year. I am going to slab it----dry it some more and then---look to making something in thataorder. :D

Check out the Rod Building forum. Lots of people making wood burl reel seats and grips and they look great!

It would be pretty cool to have a matching rod and Fly Tying tool organizer!

I think one big improvement in the tool holder that I have would be shallow "dishes" or concaves to hold beads and hooks.

Please post your creation when you're done. I really like seeing what others creations.

That is one of the most original tool organizers Ive seen, I would be honored to own it.

Thanks for the kind words. This fall when I attend fly tying gatherings I am going to start taking pictures and posting tool holders. I have seen some really neat ones out there. I just think that they are an often overlooked as "art".