Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FIN-ITE 34

Parachute posting

Not sure how you can be left with a "tight, smooth post" once you withdraw the needle. When you're done wrapping the parachute post and you remove the needle, the space that the needle occupied has to get filled with something, which I would think would allow for some thread / post material loosening when it fills that empty space. I'll try it but I get pretty good results with my gallows holding the post material vertical while I wrap the post and then add a touch of Z-ment for rigidity.

I fail to see how it could be tight as well. Maybe tight enough but not as tight as without the needle. It would definitely be faster with less fuss. I'm not ever in such a hurry where I need to speed the process up. I'll leave the needle to you speedsters.

I am skeptical about this one too. I tie and fish alot of parachute patters. what i do is a few wraps to gather the post in an upright position, then post it with the stem of the hackle as the "stiffener" touching wraps up, touching wraps down, and I have a nice firm post to hackle.

Skeptical? You wouldn't have to buy special needles to try it just use bodkin. I tend to think it works well enough, at least for some people/uses.

Parachutes interest me enough that I have bought several here and there through the years but never really tied more than a few. They all seem prone to come unwound after some use, regardless of where I bought them. I guess the pattern may need something like the UV or Barge cement to be included. That said, all the failures I saw were hackle related, never the post.

could the doubters actually give us a measurement of the approximately 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch tip of the needle that is used for this technique?

heres my experiment. dressmaker/map pin

YTe4qSj.jpg

The method that Flytire posted using U.V. glue works really well. Also when you tie in your hackle a second thin layer of U.V. on the post allows you to wrap the hackle and hit it again with a light eliminating the need to tie off the hackle. I learned this method somewhere on this site and have to say it is for me by far the easiest way to tie parachutes. They also seem to hold together very well.

Les

Based on my limited use of this type fly, that second coat of UV and setting it after the hackle is in place sounds like a key factor in fly life expectancy. I wondered about that and it is good to know it works, ty.

Also a great idea les, I will do that next time tying that hackle on is a pain.

The the last time I did parachutes I just hit it with a little ca glue the post was fine but uv cement would be easier.

could the doubters actually give us a measurement of the approximately 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch tip of the needle that is used for this technique?

heres my experiment. dressmaker/map pin

YTe4qSj.jpg

There it is in black and white. Proof positive It's not as tight when the needle is removed.