Fly Tying
despatiesim

First try at Steelhead, wish me luck!

Thursday I'm going for my first try at great lakes steelhead. Going with a guide to learn the basics and a bit of the river. Wish me luck! If all goes well, I'll be tying up some steelie paterns soon and will post some.

A few pics from my day fishing!post-54260-0-63214800-1426910518_thumb.jpg

post-54260-0-61917400-1426910520_thumb.jpg

Great day. Learned to spey cast. Landed a few, lost a few, 2 of which were really big. My first experience "combat" fishing. The number of fishermen was insane, despite the cold weather. Thank goodness I had a guide or I never would have known how to do this. These close quarters are definetly not my style. I would definetly need to find some less crowded areas if I am to return. But these fish are definetly fun to catch!

Caught them mainly on nymphs, hares ear were particularly productive.

Cheers!

Good for you. If you want to see crowded try the PA side of Lake Erie when there's a run. But, it's all worth it when you hook up.

I think I'm going to give it a try at the DSR (Douglastown Salmon Run) which is supposec to be limited access. I don't mind company on a pool, but when you're stoked to have a fish on only to realise you're actually tangled in you neighbours line who has the fish, it's a bit much. I now realise the crowded Atlantic Salmon pools in Quebec really aren't that bad.

Simon