Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishnPhil

Name this material

Could also be the stuff that women use to add long thready features to their hair. It travels under several brand names.

Rocco

Rocco, that stuff is called kankalon, and all of it is usually much longer, I have 2 bundles one 44" the other 88".

Yak hair is natural (from a yak) and is used as hair extensions, so similar to hair extensions made from human that it may fool your hair dresser, irea on the 'net. Yak has been historically the most used fabric fiber in the areas where yaks are kept, used in tents, clothes and ropes.

Kanekalon is a synthetic used mostly as wigs as I understand it, it is similar in texture to human hair- so is "synthetic yak hair" simply re-badged kanekalon? I wonder.

A match flame should tell if the fiber pictured is natural or synthetic.

"very stiff" doesn't really sound much like human hair or substitutes?

Ok, so I can burn a hair or three, of course only for science, and see what happens. What should I expect? smile.png

TV/Internet videos of peoples' hair catching fire and the childhood memory of it happening to Michael Jackson make me think, if it's real then it will go poof and the fake stuff will just melt.

I agree it is one of those two. It is very stiff with a pungent odor, funny enough I thought it felt like hair (from the middle region of ones' body though, lol)...so I'm guess it's the real deal Yak. Will report back biggrin.png

Hair burns fast and stinks like burnt hair Reminds me of a branding fire.

Plastic usually melts, curls up and smokes a bit, if it smells it will be more of a burnt plastic/oil smell. Although plastic will burn if hot enough, an excellent reason to wear cotton or wool clothing.

You can tell the difference because when burned, cotton smells like burned cotton and wool smells more like burned wool.

Sorry. I had to.

Not sure why you would need to burn it. Hair has a natural tapering, the pictured material does not, so it is synthetic. Utyer has nailed it I suspect.

I burned a small amount. It sizzled, curled, appeared to melt a bit, and extinguished itself. Unscientifically my hypothesis is incorrect and it appears to be synthetic

:)

'pungent odor" almost says synthetic with out any other indicator, all synthetics seem to carry a noticeable smell. When I first saw the picture I thought it was fishair, until I noticed it was zip tied instead of bonded at the end.