Fly Tying
pop-n-bug

Fly Tying Supplies

Since I start tying my own flies, I have not had to buy supplies (popper bodies, thread and such too often. When I do I have normally went to B.P.S. to pick up supplies. Got to the point where they are pricy on alot of their stuff when they have it. I guess in Mississippi not alot of people fly fish anymore so that is not market here. Who has the best prices on quality tying supplies online?

Flytyers dungeon and Allen fly fishing are the cheapest I have found for the stuff they carry. Other than that I keep and eye on the bargain cave at cabelas and hook and hackle. Also use the search function to look up old threads on this topic. There have been many discussions on this topic with lots of good information.

I have heard of F.T.d., Allen and Hook & Hackle. I have seen a J. Stockard catalog some where but I don't know anything about them. Have never bought supplies online before so that part of tying is new to me. Thanks for the info.

A question as old as time, or at least the Internet.

There are tons of stores and you'll get as many suggestions. Honestly I have foregone Internet retailers as an exclusive source of materials. I've been fortunate to travel around the country this summer, at every stop I've scouted local fly shops. Each of the following will take an order over the phone and I'd say they are as honest as it gets. These shops don't have a huge online presence compared to other places but their stores are complete and they are my "go-to" when I need supplies.

The Fly Angler in Mineapolis. Huge selection of materials in stock. Give them a call and they'll take good care of you. I call these guys first. Also home to Thorne Bros custom rod shop.

http://www.mnflyangler.com

Fly Masters in Indianapolis. Undoubtedly some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. And that can be said for all of these shops as well.

http://flymasters.com

Avid Angler in Seatle. I wish I could have spent more time there, more good dudes.

http://avidangler.com

Fly South in Nashville might have the most extensive selection of tying material under one roof. Might be a little pricey on some items, but if you need it, they'll probably have it.

http://flysouth.net

Good luck.

Gotta support my local shop. Orlando Outfitters. I get stuff from them, usually a 10 to 15 percent less than BPS.

And I have support my favorites: Michaels and JoAnn Fabric. Seriously, your question has been posted many times before, at least a dozen times so far this year. I suggest you go back through those older threads and see if there's anything that turns you on. They'll be in the Fly Tyers Bench (this forum) or the Beginners Forum.

If you're in Mississippi, you may be fishing for panfish and not trout, or not exclusively anyway. Trout fishers/tyers have tried and true patterns, many of which have been posted herein. Panfish aren't as picky, and there are lots of examples of popping bugs, rubber spiders, hoppers, Confederate Generals, etc., that you can use more freedom and imagination with. You can get the exact same EVA foam they sell at BPS in little pricy packages at places like Walmart, in greater quantity for the price.

+1 for Michael's and JoAnn fabrics. My girlfriend makes fun of me all the time cuz I'm there more than she is :) I cant help that's where all the good deals are at.

j stockyard

hook and hackle

feather craft

the fly shop

bear lodge angler

bears den

bob marriotts

charlies fly box

performance flies

feather emporium

fly tyers dungeon

allen fly fishing

there just isn't one "mother of all fly shops" that carries all materials

most materials will be priced the same regardless of fly shop.

do some research on the materials you want to buy and find the lowest price

Add http://www.theriaultflies.com/. They're in Maine, and raise a lot of their own birds & animals. Great folks to deal with & very good prices.

I'm primarily a warmwater & saltwater angler, and I shop around Ebay quite a bit. You can get some deals there too. There are some sellers there who are good to deal with & have the same products that other online sellers have.

There have been many threads on this topic but one constant is that Allen is best for hooks and beads.

I am mainly looking for things like popper bodies, feathers, foam and such to tie poppers and different types of ants and beatles. Craft foam is easy to find. Going to order popper bodies online. Can get them cheaper than at bps.

I am mainly looking for things like popper bodies, feathers, foam and such to tie poppers and different types of ants and beatles. Craft foam is easy to find. Going to order popper bodies online. Can get them cheaper than at bps.

While already mentioned in a post above, feather emporium is a good place to get feathers from. It might seem like your order goes into a black hole as you'll get no email receipt, but in a few days after ordering your feathers will arrive.

Did alot of looking on j. stockarda website today (when I was supposed to be working) And was impressed with what I saw on their site. They seem to have everything that I would be looking for. Seem to have good prices and a very good selection. What can ya'll tell me about them.