Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
teamtrout

Hunting for Materials

Does anyone hunt for fly tying materials? I have an excessive population of squirrels and rabbits in the woods near my house (they breed like, well... rabbits!), and I see dozens every time I go hiking. I have been looking to tie some zonkers, and believe I have a BB gun in the basement...

Just wondering, has anyone ever done this?

Tons of people do this. Practically every hunter that is also a fly tyer has done this. And if they don't hunt they will ask a friend who does. Being a hunter myself ive gotten alot of gly tying material. To list a few- buck tail, deer body/belly hair, moose main, black bear, pheasant feathers, rabbit, grouse feathers, squirrel.... The possibilities are endless.

Teamtrout, wild rabbits don't usually make good Zonker strips, especially if they're Cottontails. The hide is very thin & it's difficult to tan it. It would have to be tanned to be both pliable enough & water resistant enough for flies. You're better off buying your Zonkers. However, Cottontail fur makes excellent dubbing!

Squirrel Zonkers are another matter. The hides are thicker & tougher & work very well, but again would have to be tanned.

I still have several Squirrel hides & tails from those I've taken while hunting. Makes very good dubbing too & the tails work well for streamers & jigs.

I used to do a lot of fur trapping & others here have as well! smile.png

Word of caution! If you're going to hunt, be sure you're doing it within the law! Getting caught otherwise could get very expensive! wink.png

As an avid hunter I love to use materials from game I have harvested or my buddies have harvested. This includes but not limited to deer hair (tail and body), turkey feathers, squirrel tails, wood duck flank feathers and mallard flank feathers just to name a few...

Pheasant, grouse, ducks, turkeys and this year I'll keep a deer hide for the first time. For me, a couple of birds goes a long, long way.

Its a more traditional way to tie flies than buying the materials from the shops. Many flies came about because the materials were the left overs from obtaining food.

Cheers,

C.

I have never hunted so I will buy my material from a shop

I also do not accept animal parts from hunters or anybody (nothing wrong if YOU do) for fear of microscopic critter contamination of the rest of my materials

Just got back from the woods, actually. No deer today but almost got a real pretty grey/white fox squirrel.

If you do. You definitely want to go through a decontamination process before you introduce the materials to your other materials. YOU WILL REGRET IT. Especially feather mites. No pest strips cut into small 1" x 1" squares with the material in a sealed container. I'm paranoid so I keep them away from my other materials for months. But then I got swan, bustard, toucan, chatterer, and Indian crow feathers that I would cry if they got ruined by a stupid turkey or ring neck pheasant feather I got for free.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys!

Any of you hunters out there- What do you do with a squirrel (or rabbit) once you've killed it, to get maximum use out of all the materials? I'm worried if I managed to shoot one I wouldn't know how to clean it, and I would waste the whole hide.

Does anyone hunt for fly tying materials?

Every time I get near a Dollar Tree or other discount store.

We also pick up roadkill...if its fairly fresh.

Shoebop..........I thought I was the only one.

I never ever, EVER pick up roadkill ... at least not while anyone is looking.

Here in NC it's actually illegal to "salvage" roadkill without a license/permit. I don't know how rigorously they enforce the law, but it's something to be aware of.

I do gratefully accept donations from hunting friends, and I know how to decontaminate fur and feathers. I also have learned to tan small animal hides. It just adds another dimension to this fascinating hobby.