Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Li'lDave

Guaging interest for another saltwater swap

Teehee...

Thought I'd put a post in here and see what the response is.

I'm looking at hosting another swap... This time focused on entirely saltwater crustacean patterns. I would make it open to all levels of tyer, and make it international of course, given I hail from the land down under..

These patterns can be somewhat time consuming depending on what you tie, so I'm not sure about numbers as yet... Given they are often quite heavy, postage may also be on the higher side.

Does it sound like a plan?

Let me know ;)

Not sure about the timing - most of us on this side of the equator are switching from tying mode to fishing. I'll probably be in if the numbers aren't too high. Gotta do a few crabs anyway - 20-40 pound reds are in the neighborhood as we speak.

I am expecting to see a 40#er with one of your flies hanging out of it's mouth and a detailed description of the days activity. Not that you would cheat but .....no cheating now

I am expecting to see a 40#er with one of your flies hanging out of it's mouth and a detailed description of the days activity. Not that you would cheat but .....no cheating now

I'm hoping to see a 40-pounder as well; unfortunately it's hard for me to get away with Mrs. PJ being out in Indiana. Getting the 12wt spruced up & ready to go as soon as she gets back. The big gals should be around through June. No pups on the flats yet, though the black skimmers showed up this week, so summer can't be far away.

Sigh... we don't have any dedicated fishing seasons. I'm happy to wait. I know that a reasonable crab takes a bit of time and effort, and there's no way I want to cut into anyone's fishing time...

As it happens I got hold of some materials last week from a place called the Fly tyers dungeon... Kracken dubbing is the new black! Just sayin'

Love it... Anyhoo, I took a heathen mate out to Hinchinbrook for the first time since the wet season yesterday, and while the fishing was tough on a cold (75 farenheit) and wet day.. We still managed to see a few fish, and my new custom 4wt got onto species number two... a northern pikey bream (close relative of your sheepshead I reckon).

WARNING - Non-flyfishing pics below.

post-22241-0-06351000-1400452990_thumb.jpg

post-22241-0-47117500-1400453044_thumb.jpg

post-22241-0-14949400-1400453066_thumb.jpg

post-22241-0-80934900-1400453088_thumb.jpg

post-22241-0-44986900-1400453109_thumb.jpg

Great shots Dave. Is that first one a Jewfish (Goliath Grouper)? The pokey bream looks a lot like a porgy, which is a delicious tasting reef fish over here.

As it happens I got hold of some materials last week from a place called the Fly tyers dungeon... Kracken dubbing is the new black! Just sayin'

Dave - if you haven't tried the H2O and H2O twist from the Fly Tyers' Dungeon, it's great flash material. The Twist is a bit stiffer and longer than Crystal Flash, etc., and the metallic colors of H2O are also on the stiff and heavy side, which makes them great for big saltwater flies. Good stuff and you can't beat the price.

I was just looking at the FTD site last night. I do use the congo hair and some other stuff. Can't remember the other stuff names. CRS I suppose. I sure don't need more stuff. ....Well maybe I do