Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

FTF Fly Pattern - TIER - The Better Zonker

Why is it different?

That pattern has been around a loooong time.

Rocco

I would avoid wrapping the rabbit strip. That really burns through your zonker strips and adds a lot of unnecessary bulk with no real benefit. Try it with the rabbit strip laid across the back and no wrapping. And cheer up, fly tying is fun. You look like someone pooped on your favorite kitty.

I believe when instructed to wrap in the zonker he meant lay it across the back and "wrap in" as in wrap the thread around the zonker. The title should be the blurry Zonker but that's what it looks like to me.

Why don't you guys lay off of this kid. He is just trying to help and he is doing a good job. So what if the pattern has been around for a long time? There are lots of people viewing this forum who are not experienced tiers or fly fisher persons who may not be familiar with it. How is it better or different? It is just a title. You figure it out. Why criticize the photo? Not everyone is a perfect photographer. The fly looks OK. I think we can all see how it looks. You guys remind me of the proverbial school yard bullies ganging up on one person.

Joe

They can be quite harsh. On the other hand I assume that Tier came here to become a better tier, and he did actually ask for help on his photography.

It would be a lot more pleasant if more experienced (you fill in the blank, fly tiers, in this case) could be more helpful in a nicer way. It's a problem across social media no matter what forum you're in.

Why don't you guys lay off of this kid. He is just trying to help and he is doing a good job. So what if the pattern has been around for a long time? There are lots of people viewing this forum who are not experienced tiers or fly fisher persons who may not be familiar with it. How is it better or different? It is just a title. You figure it out. Why criticize the photo? Not everyone is a perfect photographer. The fly looks OK. I think we can all see how it looks. You guys remind me of the proverbial school yard bullies ganging up on one person.

Joe

Amen

Apologies. After re-reading your tying instructions, I guess I misunderstood. I have seen people wrapping zonker strips for some streamers and I usually recommend dubbing loops instead of wrapping the strips. I thought that was what you were doing.

Joe

I've never seen somebody get their panties in a bunch so easily and so often as you. You may let your friends walk around with their zippers down but that doesn't make the rest of us bullies. Telling somebody their pictures arent blurry when they are doesn't help anybody and doesn't imply hate or anthing other then the pictures are blurry. Especially to someone who specifically has been asking for input on his pictures. Now let's go back to not responding to each other.

Joe

I've never seen somebody get their panties in a bunch so easily and so often as you. You may let your friends walk around with their zippers down but that doesn't make the rest of us bullies. Telling somebody their pictures arent blurry when they are doesn't help anybody and doesn't imply hate or anthing other then the pictures are blurry. Especially to someone who specifically has been asking for input on his pictures. Now let's go back to not responding to each other.

I don't see anywhere on this thread where the OP asked for input on his pictures. But, if that were the case, telling him that the title should be "The Blurry Zonker" is a snarky way of trying to give "positive" criticism. Humor, if that is what you are trying to convey, is a very difficult genre to express in print and in this case, you didn't express it. It comes across as bullying.

Joe

Perhaps better than his "zonker' here; http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern14098.html

the instructions are a little different.

In criticism of the photography (and I can't do any better) I would suggest isolating the fly and vise or other holder in a box or something and use closeup techniques to capture the details of the fly. Perhaps just a sheet of blue construction paper or posterboard as a back plate.

This might help; http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2984