Fly Tying

McFlyFoam vs Egg Yarn

Which do you prefer for making egg patterns  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have seen alot of discussion about McFlyFoam vs Egg Yarn and it seems split as far as what people prefer. Me, I like the foam, it's MUCH easier to use and they turn out better than when I use the yarn. From what I hear the foam is more boyant but with a split shot a few inches up the line it doesn't seem to be a problem. dunno.gif

Actually, we don't use many egg patterns here in the NW. Mostly if you're fishing Dollies or cutts (or even some resident Rainbows). Mostly I'll build up an egg with chenille. But I do use alot of egg yarn for making tails on flies. Works awesome (plus, yarn sticks to fish teeth, so will help the hookup rate with steelhead). I was sent a sample of the mcflyfoam, I didn't care for it for that purpose. But for egg patterns, I could see where it would be nice. Myself though, I'd rather use the egg yarn.

I would agree that egg yarn looks better but getting a nice looking ball out of it is quite the challenge. Ther is NO WAY I will believe that Egg Yarn is easier to work with and shape, that's impossible. nono.gif

BTW Culpepper = shit.gif , not mcflyfoam

I have no problems with glow bug yarn. Never tried the foam. The trick with yarn is to put it on with tight wraps and cut it close to the hook. After about 1 or 2 dozen it get very easy!

I know you would trade QB's with me in a New York minute.

Your not fooling me with your shit.gif

I may not know football, but I know my QB. is the guy to have on a fantacy football team.

headbang.gif

Bob

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Sep 21 2004, 05:37 PM)
Ther is NO WAY I will believe that Egg Yarn is easier to work with and shape, that's impossible.

I have to agree with smallie here. To get a decent round shape out of egg yarn I've had to tie it on both the top and bottom of the shank. Then trim until I wanted to chuck it. Mc Fly Foam I just tie it on top, clip it then roll it around in my fingers and whalla...it's round.

steve,

The pen trick is around here somewhere I do believe. A great tip for tying eggs.

I'm a yarn guy myself, partly because I've never used the foam nor seen it. Tips that work for me are to double the yarn before tying (1/4 -1/3 for blood dot), and use a strong thread. Two really tight wraps, and then a figure eight or single wrap around the base. Tie off and then cut. Shape the yarn down around the shank and then trim. Takes a bit of practice (might have the stripe a few hooks), but near foolproof once learned.

Art

Yea I have seen the pen trick and have used it and have gotten some to come out looking decent. It's still a ton more work compared to just being able to tie in the foam then clip it and it comes out looking perfectly cool.gif