Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
August9999

EP Baitfish: Think I Finally Have It

Well I've been gone I've been practicing tying up EP baitfish for saltwater. After some practice and a lot of wasted fiber I think I've finally got it. Just wondering what all you guys thought about it. Also, due to the high prices of EP fiber i chose to use Congo Hair from fly tyers dungeon. Does this type of synthetic hinder the flies ability in any way?

Thanks,

August

post-54079-0-77978800-1420920955_thumb.jpg

Other than a little roughness of the "nose" ... I think you'll catch plenty of fish with that fly. I use Congo hair, too. The only draw back I've noticed, it tends to catch in fish teeth. If you get a bass, say, with those fine little teeth, it's possible to miss a hook set because the fish it actually "hooked" on the fibers, and you don't pull the hook into flesh. Don't be shy about setting the hook. I don't know if other synthetic hairs do the same, since I've never had any other brand.

Yeah, I realized the "nose" was a little long but i figured it wouldn't do too much harm. I threw it a little in the river today and it looked great. I'm hoping once it warms up here SWFL I can get out onto the bay and get some Snook with it. Just tied my first crab fly which I used a mixture of patterns. Looks rough out of the water but I threw it a little and the legs give it some great action. Hope the reds like it.

The nose does look a bit like Cyrano's nose, but the fish won't mind one bit. From the nose back it looks great!

Very nice! it is sparse so it will look translucent in the water, which I'm my experience really makes a difference when the water is clear. Congo hair is very similar to EP. EP seems a bit finer and softer but the difference in my opinion is not that great. In any case, Congo hair is definitely great for learning and experimenting since it is so cheap.

The nose isn't too long, not from what I've seen of similar flies. But I was referring to the ... lack of finish. If it was smoother, it would be more pleasant to the fishermen's eye. I agree, again, with the above ... I think it will be perfect for catching fish.

The nose isn't too long, not from what I've seen of similar flies. But I was referring to the ... lack of finish. If it was smoother, it would be more pleasant to the fishermen's eye.

Oh, ok. I see now what you mean about the lack of finish. Thanks for the advice, I will take that into account next time.

From my point of view you've got the materials exactly right -most that first use these kinds of synthetics tie them too bulky. The standard I tell first time users is that you should see your hand clearly, right through the materials. The fly will cast better, move better in the water, and the fish will tear them up!

I like big noses on my flies .....and my women

Now ... THERE'S a salt water forum reply I like to see !!!

What kind of thread are you using? maybe thats the reason for the rough nose. As far as the material it appears to me that the Ep fibers are a bit smoother. I havent worked with Congo before so I cant say if the fibers are harder to work with.