Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishSnatcher

Saltwater fly tying materials

There is no one supplier who can supply all your needs.

Start with the Fly Tyers Dungeon. Lots of good fibers, and flash materials.

Get foam, glues, and lots of other things from Joann Fabrics.

Since many on-line shops source their materials from the same places, I like to shop local whenever I can. That way I can look over the materials I want to purchase. Many shops have close-out boxes, and I always look through those.

If you know what your looking for, its pretty hard to find an on-line dealer who doesn't have saltwater tying materials. Cabelas, and Bass Pro both have web sites.

Some on-line sites that I use are Hook and Hackle, Dream Drift Flies, Feather Craft Fly Fish USA, and Anglers Workshop. You can find their sites quickly with a google search.

Our site sponser Stockard is a great source for tying materials.

I agree with Utyer, you really have to look around. A lot of shops sell materials suitable for saltwater flies. I've purchased from most already mentioned, but don't buy from any one exclusively.

We have a local tackle shop that has been in business seems like forever that carries tying supplies & most is geared towards Chesapeake Bay anglers, since the shop is within a mile of the bay. I go there when I need something fast, but again don't make all my purchases there.

Saltwaterflies.com also generally has some good materials.

Theriault Flies raises some of their own animals, so they're another good source.

For saltwater, it really depends on your needs. Some places prices are not cheap, but will reflect the demand for a particular product. One example would be bucktails with hair longer than 6" in length. Hard to find most often. I've seen such tails priced at $10 each. But, if you need it, you pay the price or substitute something else.

I personally use a couple of places, I tend to order from Stockard, but there are others that are just as good. Netcraft , Flyshack..etc. Whoever I am ordering materials from must have a decent shipping policy, and money back gaurantee.