Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewP

"Sea Thru's"

I know I've seen the idea for this patterns somewhere on the InterWebs, so I took the basic idea and made some slight additions to it and hopefully make it delectable for the usual suspects -- snook, tarpon, trout, reds, etc ...

What I like about this design is that it creates a silhouette of a baitfish, but keeps the material down and thus makes the fly easier to cast. The body (I used estaz) at the nose of the fly is larger-- taller-- than normal; it makes the craft fur move up and over the body, yet it does not cover the entire hook shank.

I've created a Version 1,2, and 3. The first (top) has nothing in the middle, the second (middle) has just two pieces of large flash, and the third has the lightest bit of dubbing stretched as a tail along with the flash. I want to keep experimenting with the middle materials, keeping it as sparse as possible but still giving it "something" there ....

I'm calling it a "Sea-Thu". Tell me what you think .... and if you remember who originated, happy to give them the credit.

AP

Sea-thrus_zpsfpcap3nq.jpg

good luck. They are interesting, but I don't know if they'll present any advantage to "Surf Candy" or other bait fish imitations.

Cool looking flies, I'd be interested in hearing how they do. I think I like the last on best. Should be a cool translucent baitfish, probably work well on beach snook

Mike, these flies have a distinctly different profile than surf candies, thus would present an advantage when trying to imitate certain baitfish. These look like better imitations for white bait or mojarras than surf candies, which are better glass minnow imitations.

I finally figured out where I had seen this kind of tie before!! -- Dave Whitlock's Sheep Minnow series ...

iWT019d.jpg

Needed to give credit where credit is due .... mine was just a variant, done regular style instead of bendback.

(btw, I tied up some of these as well -- look good, need to take them out and see how they do)

AP