Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ditz2

Brrrrrrrrrrr

I guess this cold weather has driven all you salties to deep water.

Yep. I certainly haven't been near the sea. Not so much the temp but the wind recently has been inclement to say the least. I had my rod all set up with a hand made sinking head and new running line but didn't leave the shed.

It's 80 degrees here today, but every time I have tried to go out lately there have been gale force winds and storms. I planned to go today but there is a tornado warning. It seems the days I can't go are beautiful, as is usually the case.

No SW for me lately. I did toss a few flies for muskies in the New River before the Holidays but no follows. I am looking to take a trip to the LA marsh in the next couple of months to fish with my brother who is currently working down there. Hope that pans out.

I'm booked tomorrow and again on Thursday out of Flamingo. We've had a very nice warm period that will be coming to an end on Wednesday. Of course my fly angler will on Thursday -the day after all the big tarpon will have left the interior... Such is life... Down here we're on the receiving end of cold fronts every seven to ten days and the weather literally dictates what we will or won't be doing... Along with a very real drop in water temperatures each cold front will see winds increase and walk around the clock, going to northwest as the front moves through -then howl out of the north for a day or two before settling back down.

This is also the time of year when the first shrimp runs in Biscayne Bay will get going (but not even commercial shrimpers can tell you exactly when....). Once that happens the Bay at night turns into a great baby tarpon fishery with fish averaging 20 to 40 lbs loading up under every bridge between Miami and Miami Beach. All that's needed is a falling tide and water temps above 68 degrees and we'll be golden all the way through April (when day trips don't conflict since I'm getting too old for two trips in the same day...).

Saw my wife off to work at 6:45 this morning. It was -14. I got to work at 10:00 and it had reached a balmy -9. I'm thinking casting a line is a bit out of the question from this corner of the country.

Michael from Maine

Saw my wife off to work at 6:45 this morning. It was -14. I got to work at 10:00 and it had reached a balmy -9. I'm thinking casting a line is a bit out of the question from this corner of the country.

Michael from Maine

Geezo Peezo ... I'm thinking getting out of bed is out of the question in your neck o the woods.

I'm with Mike on this one. I thought it was unbearable at around 28 this morning, thankfully it will be back up to 75 by Sunday and we can get back to winter how it is supposed to be

Been a fairly warm winter and the water on the flats is getting clearer and shallower. However finding a day when the sun is shining and with light winds is tough. Last Wednesday was marginal as the clouds came in a soon as I hit the flats. But still managed a 20" trout and a 28" red. My best day so far this winter. Always hard to get a decent photo when you are solo fishing.

post-44758-0-91168700-1420991361_thumb.jpg

For a DIY picture, that is great. I looked at the ice fishing gear yesterday, then put some wood in the stove. It was nice sitting buy the stove and tying.

Michael.