Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Out with the old in with the new

post-48414-0-90921100-1536535823_thumb.jpg

post-48414-0-87236200-1536535856_thumb.jpg

With 4 months and 21 days (75 shifts) left of working I've been upgrading the house so I won't have to do anything when I retire. Today I got rid of the old welder and upgraded to a new one. I'm not a welder, I'm just a metal stick togetherer so this one is more then ample for my needs of anchor making and other pointless welding projects. The old one hasn't worked in a while because replacement parts are non existent and I got down to just one anchor. I found myself not wanting to use it for fear of losing my last one. This will solve that.

Why do my pictures always turn sideways?

Why do my pictures always turn sideways?

Are you taking them with a phone? While I am not a cell phone guy (gave them up 17 yrs ago) I do know that most times the sideways pic thing is due to a setting on the phone with most instances.

Nice rig Greg. As a certified TIG welder for many years I will say I do NOT miss welding in a hot shop at all lol, but with that said having a machine at home is great to have. Its amazing how much you can find a use for one once you have one in your garage.

Rod maker, bonsai garden maker and TIG welder. That's a pretty diverse set of skills. Yes indeed the number of projects does seem to increase once you have one.

I finally broke down and bought a new one because I got tired of lugging a 9.9 hp motor around. I use it infrequently and store it in my garage. The thing has gotten heavier over the years so I decided to build a stand for it. I wanted an axle on it so I can wheel it across the backyard to the shed but I had no way of making the axle without an hours drive to a friends place to use his welder. Instead, I simply drilled a hole through a 2 by 4 and bolted on a wheel. The results were not what I wanted and I'm not so sure it will survive repeated trips across the backyard.

I think I could use one myself today for making a cart for lugging a motor around. Damn power went out this morning so I had to go lug the generator out of the shed and hook it up so I could at least get the lights and computer working right now. I swear that generator gets heavier every time I have to get it out mellow.png

Since this thread fits ... I'm reviving it to say, I got a new laptop.

That purchase isn't all that newsworthy ... but I remember others having computer issues, then disappearing for weeks.

SO ... if I have any issues with my new laptop, I might be missing for a day or so.

Just an FYI.

I haven't used my personal laptop since I picked up an IPad. Zero issues with an iPad ever. I realize an iPad is a toy and makes for a lousy computer but for exploring the interweb there's nothing better. My work laptop on the other hand is just problem after problem. Good luck with the new hair puller.

I've got a work laptop ... and it has limited internet access. I can't see most pictures, or visit many sites because this one is always running through the company's network even when I am off site.

My old personal laptop has functioned well for more than 5 years. Any problems I've had were with the internet, not the laptop.

Actually, the only reason I am replacing it is the hinge finally snapped.

I got the new one set up last night, but I didn't stay online long enough to post anything.

I will resist the "smart phone" type device as long as I can.

My flip phone works as a phone. It's not my camera, it's not my computer ... I don't even have the text feature on my provider account. It's a phone, nothing more.

I'm on the "need a new laptop" wagon as well lol. I do everything on my desktop PC, my laptop is about 9 years old so it is getting pretty slow these days. Don't have or use cell phones, I personally hate the damn things and thing people waste half their lives looking down at them. Kind'a freaks most people out to learn I don't have/use cell phones. My life is just fine without them though smile.png

Kind'a freaks most people out to learn I don't have/use cell phones.

That's part of the fun. Especially young people ... they don't understand how I can exist without a mini-computer in my hand. I just explain that I am not a slave to a machine ... like they are.

It really is sad how addicted young people are these days to phones. My Niece is 21 yrs old and she acts like here phone is a life support machine. They were here for Thanksgiving dinner and her phone needed to charge so she plugged it in to an outlet here that doesn't work and thought something was wrong with her phone. Before I even had a chance to tell her it was the outlet she absolutely went nuts saying ..."Oh my God my phone wont charge we need to go buy a new one this is terrible we need to go!". She was literally flipping out almost yelling like something was seriously wrong.

I could not believe how quickly she just flipped out because she thought her phone wouldn't charge. It really is sad I honestly feel very sorry for this generation and how their lives are so centered on their phones.

Hate to break it to you mike but an iPad is not a cell phone. But, since you brought it up, I will say I love my mini computer cell phone. After many years of resistance I finally went mini computer/cell phone when my job forced one on me and no longer provided me with a regular phone. Initially I fought it but slowly I started realizing the benefits outweighed any negative. First, I'm well into my adult years and don't do Facebook, instagram, Snapchat, fortnite or whatever else is out there.

What I like is the instant access to the various databases I use at work. Databases that not to long ago I had to sit at a specific computer in a specific office and send my request and then wait for a response. Now, I can do it over my phone no mater where I'm at. I can answer emails when they come in and not start my day answering all the emails that came in when I'm out of the office. By the way I try and prefer to be out of the office more then in the office and my work is best served by being out of the office. My cell phone allows me to do that without losing any benifit of being in the office. My mini computer allows me to get way more work done simply because I don't have to stop what I'm doing and drive to the office to retrieve something. Everything is at my fingertips.

I also enjoy having the USGS gauges for all my favorite fishing holes at my fingertips. As well as tide schedules, weather maps, wind maps, all of my favorite music, a camera, a video camera, a voice recorder, a flashlight, magnifier glass, tape measure, angle finder, credit cards, cash and my bank account all in one little secure package that easily slips into one small pocket. I've recently got acquainted with Apple Pay. Now when my kids need to pay me for their share of the cell phone or car insurance bill they can simply text me my money. They really hate how I figured that out. One time when my truck broke down I watched Netflix while waiting for the tow truck.

I think if you lower your guard you will find they are very beneficial and can be a real time saver and not an occupier of time wasted when in the hands of a responsible adult. Children on the other hand should not have free unbridled access to a hand held mini computer.

Hate to break it to you mike but an iPad is not a cell phone. ​I know that ... but it's the same thing. A portable link to everything I like to get away from.

I can answer emails when they come in and not start my day answering all the emails that came in when I'm out of the office. ​I can't do that. Hourly, no worky from home or I can be fired. On the other side of that coin, I don't have a huge number of E-mail I NEED to look at.

tide schedules, weather maps, wind maps, all of my favorite music, a camera, a video camera, a voice recorder, a flashlight, magnifier glass, tape measure, angle finder, credit cards All the things I like leaving at home when I go fishing. I'm good having a separate camera ... I don't need one on my phone.

I think if you lower your guard ... ​It's not a matter of having "my guard up" ... I just don't need it. I don't need the connection. I prefer to be DISconnected when I leave the computer screen.

Just boils down to everyone being different more than anything. I don't have a cell phone or tablet mainly for the same reasons as Mike. What is convenient for one person is something the next person likes to get away from. I actually LIKE to be unplugged and away from technology when I am out and about. Probably the same reason I actually go to a video store in town to rent movies rather than doing it through my cable/Tv/Netflix ;) And Yes I have Netflix lol, I just like to do some things the old fashion way though.