Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
field989

free hackle guard

well if u dont know what a hackle guard is, it holds the hackle back(on wets or drys) so you dont tie over it.

well take a sharp knife or sicissors and cut a circular disc out of a plastic bottle(or whatever u want to use) size according on the size of fly being tied. and cut to center(to allow you to slide it off and on)

thats it hope you guys enjoy

Nice tip thanks, there is another one that uses a peice of a straw that has been cut off.

yeah i have tried that and it didnt work to well for me so i was thinkin and BAM... it just came to me lol

Or punch a hole in the center of a 35 mm. film canister cap; doesn't work very well on tiny hooks, though.

Another one is the tip end of a caulking tube.

It is tapered which allows the opening to be changed as needed.

I've used a hackle guard that is just about a cheap as you can get and it works well on some flies. Just take a soda straw and cut a piece about an 1/8 of an inch wide. Place this piece on the tube of your bobbin before starting your fly. When your ready for the guard just pull the piece of straw off the bobbin tube and push the hackle back out of the way.

Floyd, cut the straw lengthwise, and you won't have to slip it on the bobbin tube before you start. I kept forgetting to put it on, this works really well. Just slip it around the thread when you need it.

Sign in to follow this