Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Rotary Vise poll

Rotary or not?  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering what everybody uses......Sorry this is my first poll so if it's weird sorry. thanks

-Mark

Griffin odyysey spider here.

shane

To clear things up (the way I've understood it):

If a vise like the DK Barracuda is a true rotaty, then the DK supreme is a rotary.

If the DK Barracuda is a rotary, then the DK supreme is a non rotary.

barracuda.jpg supreme.jpg

It's all a comparison I guess. What differs is how the rotation of a hook-shank in the jaws are like compared to the vise. If it really rotates perfectly along it's own axis, then it is a true rotary. That's often not necessary though.

I tie on an Anvil Atlas and a Marryat MP-vise, both adjustable to true rotary function.

ROTARY refers to the ability of the vise to rotate the fly along the hook shank axis, while keeping the hook shank axis fixed. Usually that is level, or parallel to the tying surface. Not real easy to explain, but you know it when you see it. Most vises that have a sort of "V" shape to them and a handle on the opposite end from the jaws are "rotary".

NO you don't need a rotary to tie perfectly good flies. YES a rotary makes many aspect of tying more efficient, and also enables a tier to examine any part of the fly while being tied, without mirrors or yoga classes.

IF one finds oneself with a dominant arm nearly useless from injury, a rotary makes it MUCH easier to keep tying even though the flies might look like they did thirty years ago...

ROTARY refers to the ability of the vise to rotate the fly along the hook shank axis, while keeping the hook shank axis fixed.

wouldnt that be "TRUE ROTARY"?

examples

renzetti traveler = TRUE ROTARY

http://www.renzetti.com/product.php?produc...=313&page=1

renzetti apprentise = ROTARY

http://www.renzetti.com/home.php?cat=312

I use a Renzetti Traveller. I have been looking at the Dyna Kings lately. I think I need two vises. Yes, two vises would be good.

Tied for years on a Danvise, but recently inherited a Dynaking kingfisher (i think) and a Renzetti Traveler. I tie mostly on the Traveler now because of the pedestal base and true rotary. The DK is rotary, but not true.....a step up from a fixed vise, but still not as good as a true rotary.

think about it. even Colonel Sanders has a true rotary rotisserie (this is pure speculation because i haven't actually been in a KFC for years). you want your flies to come out delicious and juicy don't you? Just some food for thought....wait....speaking of food, I could really go for some chicken!

colonel-sanders_kfc.jpg

I own 3 Dyna-Kings .. a Kingfisher, Voyager2 and a Trekker. I'm still learning to use the rotary feature on the Trekker which is my main vise. All 3 have their uses but I like the Trekker the most. I have both the C-clamp and pedestal feature but use the pedestal the most.

Mike

Renzetti Traveler upgrade from thompson knockoffs. I like it, makes looking at all sides of my flies easier and my wraps, etc. neater.

Started on an el cheapo fixed vice from a kit, then moved to a Dyna-King Kingfisher non-true rotary. My last vice for a while and the one I use 99.99% of the time is a Jvice rotary.

I have tied for a few years on a DanVise New Classic, a "true rotary." I am upgrading in a few weeks (vice on order through local shop) to an HMH Spartan. Technically, this vice is only "true rotary" with the head angle set level, which is the only time I really need true rotary action (tying streamers like Clousers and Deceivers). I mainly want the Spartan for tying smaller flies with the adjustable head angle and their much more affordable (and well reviewed) midge jaws. I don't feel like I have enough room around the hook with the DanVise when I drop below about a size 18 or 20.