Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Standing Tying Desk

I have been thinking about making a standing tying desk on wheels. The idea is to roll it into the TV room or wherever I feel like tying, and put it away in a closet when I don't.

Only God knows when or if this is really going to get done, but here is an initial idea. Opinions, pros and cons, etc. welcome.

post-52874-0-90218200-1492040864_thumb.png

All I can say is, I would never tie standing up. I would recommend "wings" ... extra "table top" space, hinged, on each side that you can fold down when you don't need it.

Thanks for the replies.

Stability is definitely one of the main concerns because of the shape and the swiveling wheels that will go underneath. May have to build a bigger platform with a cut out in the front for my feet.

I am basing the ergonomics on the elevated part of the kitchen island I sometimes tie at. Have to make adjustments, but it takes care of a lot of the guess work.

The wings are an interesting idea. I could not use that space for bobbins and tools when they are collapsed, though. Will keep in mind.

++ on Mike's wings, maybe a pull out shelf just below the table top to mount vise and give you the room for your feet. This sounds like a new tying station for my camper. Please keep the post going if you start it.

Make sure it's ergonomic and should be the height where you are working with your hands at hand shaking height. I am 6' tall and all my benches are 39" high. Anti fatigue rubber mats in front of all of them.