Fly Tying
robbor

Renzetti ultra midge bobbin

I'm new. Haven't even started tying. I'm going to be tying small flies like daiichi 1110 24-26. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the ultra midge bobbin? I have the regular midge that I have not used yet. I'm trying to decide on getting another midge or the ultra?

You can never have too many bobbins/bobbin holders. wink.png

On the other hand, the most I've ever spent on one was $6.00 for ceramic insert types. I don't buy tools that cost more just because it's got someone's name on it.

since you havent tied with the midge bobbin holder you already have why not try that one first and then decide if that bobbin holder is capable of tying the sizes you want to tie.

i'll bet a dollar it will :)

You need to get tying then you will figure out if you actually need vs want something different. Do you want to tie flies or collect tools ?

If a standard bobbin holder will tie #26, mine has, a midge bobbin holder should tie really really small flies and an ultra midge setup ought to tie #invisible flies. But if you don't use the one you have you surely need to buy a few more. Badger Creek still lists the Frank Matarelli midge bobbin, and that one I know is good. The thing is the thread and the bobbin or spool will still be normal size and hooks don't go down much past midge size. Hoping you get started using those tools soon, and that you get to fish some "hand tied" flies.

I am with Umpqua but I do have to say that I like their "new" Tiemco bobbin that allows you to
adjust the length of the thread tube. It gives me more control when tying smaller flies.
Do I think it is worth $60? No. But since I am with them I get them at a pro price.
I have quite a few of their ceramic bobbins that I purchased at full retail before I became one of their tyers.

Kimo

I now see Robbor's been a member since Dec '08....

I guess you could say Robbor's first fly will be "A decade in the making".

Lol. Lots of interesting responses. Yes I have been a long time interested in fly tying and tackle making and crappie jigs. I've been making custom crappie jigs and molds for over ten years. And have used flies and ice jigs without a fly rod or ice fishing for probable 20 years. I just adapt what's available for my purpose. I've noticed many a time that certain fish will only touch very small offering in pressures areas. Yes I need to get tying , I'm planning on it this winter. I'm just very inquisitive.

Tried to order the Matarelli bobbins from Badger Creek last week. He is all sold out. I have not been able to find original Matarelli bobbins anywhere (original with FM stamped on the foot, not just 'Matarelli style'). If anyone has a source, would love to hear about it.

Thanks, Bob H