Fly Tying
wmw4

Warmwater wet flies with a twist swap

Hey guys it's starting to warm back up so it would be a good time to start stocking up on warmwater flies. I have selected 12 flies from here http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns4.asp

First come first serve on the fly selections. Well do 12 plus me so everyone will tie 12 flies. All regular rules apply. These flies are all fairly basic so this would be good for a beginner looking to get into a swap. Due date of April 15th.

SM: panfish polecat

1. Brim bug - islander727 -RECEIVED - Arrived

2. Cockaroo - CE - Arrived

3. Teal of your color choice - mike west - RECEIVED - Arrived

4. Fox tail grub - breambuster - RECEIVED

5. Gill getter - mainard RECEIVED - Arrived

6. Brim special - vicente - RECEIVED - Arrived

7. Hum bug - colonelmel - RECEIVED - Arrived

8. Black gnat - foambug

9. March brown spider - dflanagan - RECEIVED - Arrived

10. Wooly worm - vicrider - RECEIVED - Arrived

11. Peacock soft hackle - flat rock native RECEIVED

12. Lacy gee's gimp - Tom warbler - RECEIVED - Arrived

Closed! Due date April 15th

Initially I'll go with the Wooly Worm. Over the years I've caught a lot more fish on this than the Wooly Bugger, probably because I use it more. See how time goes and what others pick and may do another one in there depending on what's left.

Happy to have you colonel. 5 spots left.

Posting here to bump thread... Question... Would a larger size of Brown or Gray Hackle Peacocks be more useful than the customary size 14-16 I usually twist up for local trout? Say 8-10? Would like to accommodate the fishing needs of the swappers, not stand on my tradition.. Please give me some feedback, I am about ready to start on these. Many thanks wmw4 for hosting a fun event

FRN, either size 8 or 10 is great for panfish. Gills have a small mouth but a big appetite and the decent ones can handle up to 8 real well and makes unhooking easier. I think I tied my wooly worms on 10 1x long to make it easier to unhook. For some reason crappie never seem to get the fly/bait past their paper mouths. They seem to suck the fly in and hold it so you hook them in lips. Don't horse them too hard or lips is all you might end with. Gills can take a fly deeper than you'd think with no problem so often make the unhook more problem than with the other species we term under the "panfish" label. 'Course, when the rod doubles over and the line slips down to the reel quick it often means a bass or northern decided to eat your fly, or as happens often, the small 'gill that had your fly for awhile.

ps...worms are ready but I'll hold off sending them until we know for sure how many are in the swap.

FRN, either size 8 or 10 is great for panfish. Gills have a small mouth but a big appetite and the decent ones can handle up to 8 real well and makes unhooking easier. I think I tied my wooly worms on 10 1x long to make it easier to unhook. For some reason crappie never seem to get the fly/bait past their paper mouths. They seem to suck the fly in and hold it so you hook them in lips. Don't horse them too hard or lips is all you might end with. Gills can take a fly deeper than you'd think with no problem so often make the unhook more problem than with the other species we term under the "panfish" label. 'Course, when the rod doubles over and the line slips down to the reel quick it often means a bass or northern decided to eat your fly, or as happens often, the small 'gill that had your fly for awhile.

ps...worms are ready but I'll hold off sending them until we know for sure how many are in the swap.

Your a prince Nick, thanks for insights.