Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Homemade Shanks

I have used .032 stainless safety wire. Got it from a friend in aviation maintenance along with a pair of wire twisting pliers. It is a little soft compared to leader wire but once twisted it seems to work fine.

I use wire shafts made for inline spinner baits.They are .024",.030",.040" and .050".They cost about $2 for 25pk and the wires are 3"-7" long depending on the diameter.I use jewelry pliers from walmart to make the eyes.

I got them from Hagens or Jans Netcraft for making bass lures but tried them one day fly tying and they work great.

You'll also find a very comprehensive selection of components for spinner making on the following retail site (they also have a wholesale side.... ).

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/

Hope this helps

Agree Capt, LPO is a great site.

If you are near a Cabelas, they have an assortment of coiled stainless wire too.

If you buy it as a coil it can be straightened.

Cut a length, clamp an end into a vise, then clamp the other end with a pair of vise grips.

Give it a pull and it will be straight.

"Toothproof" single strand stainless wire from American Fishing Wire comes in almost any diameter you want. Have used it for many many years.