Fly Tying

If you have ever fished for bass, you know that in most instances, a rattle helps attract them. They are also attracted big baits. Things that push lots of water. I created this fly to still be rather light, but have a big profile under the water. This in my opinion is the perfect fly for bass when they are targeting baitfish, and also a great fly for other species like like pike or even big trout. With a saltwater hook, you could tie this for many saltwater species as well.

The flexible UV resin really makes a nice head on the fly, but its not hard and stiff, but it will flex a bit, which makes it more durable. It will give it a unique action as well, and help push water around the craft fur to make it move quite a bit more. The side to side motion will really drive those bass nuts.

Hook: Gamakatsu B10S in size 1/0
Weight: 4mm black conehead
Thread: Danville's 210 flat waxed in white
Tail: Extra select craft fur in white and tan
Rattle: Wapsi pyrex round end mini/3mm fly rattle
Wrap: Tinsel Braid
Eyes: Fish Scull living eyes 7mm wind
UV Resin: Solarez Flex

I've watched all your videos since you started posting them but never commented before that I can remember.

I've seen you get lots of criticism on them in the past. It's so easy to find fault with people, those folks don't know what time it takes and the effort to do what you do...Keep it up

I can't stand the intro but that's just me just wasted time. I've been trying for 50 years and when I watch a video I just want the nuts and bolts. I like music in my videos but not overpowering which you have done in the past but this time you did a good job with the volume It's low and doesn't interfere with the instructions.

I tie a very similar fly but I put some grizzly hackles in the tail and wrap lead towards the rear to get that side to side jerk bait action

Nice tie!

👍

Edit: I also like how you edit/speed up the mundane parts.

I've watched all your videos since you started posting them but never commented before that I can remember.

I've seen you get lots of criticism on them in the past. It's so easy to find fault with people, those folks don't know what time it takes and the effort to do what you do...Keep it up

I can't stand the intro but that's just me just wasted time. I've been trying for 50 years and when I watch a video I just want the nuts and bolts. I like music in my videos but not overpowering which you have done in the past but this time you did a good job with the volume It's low and doesn't interfere with the instructions.

I tie a very similar fly but I put some grizzly hackles in the tail and wrap lead towards the rear to get that side to side jerk bait action

Nice tie!

Edit: I also like how you edit/speed up the mundane parts.

well thanks for watching and commenting this time. :)

As for the intro, yes I hear ya, its kinda a "waste" for the viewer, but its really important with youtube and my branding. People see the intro and know its me type of thing. I tried to keep it quick and short though. 15 seconds rather than some of these I see at 30+ seconds. I might work on a new intro that is quicker though, I appreciate the feedback on that. :)

As for the music in the background. yeah, I have always tried to keep that low and non-obstructive. But, sometimes when listening to it on my computer in the editing software it sounds different than what people hear from the finished product and with some decent speakers. I listened a while back to one of my video's on my dads TV and was like DANG! Thats loud! HAHA The music really was obstructive. So lately I have been trying to lower it even more, to the point where I can not even barely hear it on my computer. Glad that helped and you were able to hear the voice this time.

Some people don't like the editing of the speed thing, but lets be real, many of these larger streamers can take 10-15 minutes to tie, so that would be a long video. I try to edit out and speed up those boring parts and hopefully make the video shorter. I am not blessed with a great voice like Davey McPhail, so I cannot make a 12 minute video still be interesting. HAHA Usually I can drop the time filming by half this way. So in this instance, it was an 11.5 minute tie, and I dropped it to about 6 minutes of actual tying roughly. After the intro and the underwater filming, its about 7:15 minutes. Which is much quicker than most fly tying video's I see online. I notice that if I make a video thats over 10 minutes, people don't really watch. HAHA

I keep working on improving, so please let me know anything more you can think of that you would like me to change. I take all into consideration. I do appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

BTW, I was thinking of putting some grizzly hackle in the tail as well. Great minds think alike. I elected not to because I couldnt get the tail to flow as well with the stiffer hackle. Can you tell me how you tie it in? I am interested. It won't be in the video, but only for my own use.

As for the lead, do you find you get more side to side with it? Good thoughts on that. Nice idea. Do you add a rattle at that point? lead under the rattle? Or do you just not use the rattle? I used the cone head for the weight, but now that I think about it, maybe adding lead and something else to flair the fibers might be better cause I can get the lead back further and more side to side. Thanks for the idea's.

I haven't played around with rattles for a long long time mainly cause I just have any and haven't bought them..my money is tight and I need other materials but other wise I'd use them.

I've messed around for years trying to tie a fly that has that Sluggo jerk bait action. Most of them didn't have the action I was looking for but they still catch fish.

Tell you what give me a few days and I'll tie up what I do and take some pictures of the various steps. I wrap foam around the body also.

Want me to post the pictures here in this thread or PM them to you?