Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Anvil Atlas Full Review

For the past year, I have been using the Anvil Atlas vice. While overall its a great vice for the money, there are a few things I have found that bug me a bit. I will go over all that I found while using this vice over the past year. Both the bad and the good. You can make the decision on whether you want to buy it or not. I discuss the jaws, the rotary feature, angle of the vice, pedestal base, and more.

This is the vise I have and I've had a lot of the same problems with it. The grooves in the jaws irritate me to no end. Never fails. I'll get the hook to sit right in the groove, check it to make sure it doesn't move, and then in the middle of tying the fly, the hook will slip. While it's nice to have, I don't use the rotary function often. Like yours, my vise is pretty clunky while turning. Just not smooth enough. Overall, it works fine for the flies I tie and I'll use it until one of us dies but I kind of wish I'd gone with a different vise now.

As for the handle on yours falling out....squirt a bit of blue loctite on it. Should hold it there until you want it to come off.

Yeah I have my hooks move sometimes also. Generally though after some playing with it I can get them to sit ok, just takes a bit of work.

Same thing with mine, it will probably last till the day I die, because its built so beefy, however its going to be tied on much less now since I just bought a renzetti... I will be using that for the majority of my smaller flies. I have a feeling (haven't tested it yet though) with the larger hooks the renzetti might not do as well. Anyone have experience with 1/0 and larger hooks on the Renzetti? I just got an Oasis bench that takes a C-clamp vice and I cannot find the C-clamp that comes with my Atlas, so I ended up getting a new Renzetti trailer. I could have just bought a C-clamp I guess, but like the Rensetti a bit better. Its what I tie with at work, and have grown to really like it. We tie a lot of small midges though (22-26) at work. I work at a fly shop on the San Juan river and pretty much all the flies we tie in shop are tiny midges. I have not had a chance to try the larger streamer hooks...

I would agree with everything you have said. I have used my Anvil Atlas for closer to 7 years and have found that it has broken in very nice. The jaws can be a bit of a challenge and may not hold as well as some others, but there is no doubt this is one of the most robust and heavy duty vices you will find.

Thanks for the review.

I'd be curious to see the Rensetti reviewed when you get it going as you like.

Rensetti is awesome! I tied up some flies on a size 24, and I tied up some flies on a size 1/0 and it held both hooks so tight I could probably bend the hook before it slipped. Also the rotary feature on it is buttery smooth when you find that right setting. Ohhhh I have been tying on junk comparably for way too long! HAHA

I would agree with everything you have said. I have used my Anvil Atlas for closer to 7 years and have found that it has broken in very nice. The jaws can be a bit of a challenge and may not hold as well as some others, but there is no doubt this is one of the most robust and heavy duty vices you will find.

Thanks for the review.

Yeah, it sure is a heavy duty vice.

Renzetti makes a GREAT vise. They'll do the job on a various size hooks. I think it's a step up from the Atlas. I have an Apex vise, which is good, although I don't tie on it much.

Renzetti makes a GREAT vise. They'll do the job on a various size hooks. I think it's a step up from the Atlas. I have an Apex vise, which is good, although I don't tie on it much.

Yes I agree, a step up for sure

If a vise doesn't hold a hook properly, what's the point. Of all the features that I consider in a vise, holding the hook is by far the most important. Renzetti Presentation gets the vast majority of my use.

Thanks, Bob H

If a vise doesn't hold a hook properly, what's the point. Of all the features that I consider in a vise, holding the hook is by far the most important. Renzetti Presentation gets the vast majority of my use.

Thanks, Bob H

I just got the Renzetti Travler and love it! It holds a hook so easily and well. Seriously, best vice I've tied on!