Fly Tying

Hello i wanting to get into fly fishing so I bought a used Elkhorn T2 reel and a new Echo basic 590-4 rod. Im wanting to know if this setup is any good, and should last me along time? I havent received the reel or rod yet. I know the reel has line on it not sure what kind or the length. Ill use the rod around here in NC for some panfish, and when I go to Colorado on rainbow trout. What brand/type of flys should I get must get starting out? Thank yall

Welcome to the site, Swamp.

I've got rod/reel combos that cost less than $100.00. I've been fishing with them 50 to more than 100 days a year for many years.

Longevity of rods and reels is all about care and maintenance ... not cost. I can't even find the brand of reel you mention, but the rod is a good one. Taken care of, you'll be able to hand them down to your offspring or protege.

Just dont let it get into the garage door tracks like I did to my first fly rod yesterday.

RIP Hobbs Creek 9' 5w. 2011-2019

Welcome to the site, Swamp.

I've got rod/reel combos that cost less than $100.00. I've been fishing with them 50 to more than 100 days a year for many years.

Longevity of rods and reels is all about care and maintenance ... not cost. I can't even find the brand of reel you mention, but the rod is a good one. Taken care of, you'll be able to hand them down to your offspring or protege.

The reel is made by Elkhorn flyshop out of Loveland Colorado but is discontinued now from what I gather they sold for around $170 new.

Nothing at all wrong with that combo. Echo rods are pretty good and I'm very familiar with Elkhorn, have built a few rods on their blanks many years ago back when they use to sell their blanks. Their reels are like many of the companies do where they import them in and sell them as their own under their name but they were a good reel nothing wrong with that either, you should be happy with that setup for a very long time.

Thank y’all. What are some of the must have flys for panfish and trout recommendations?

All you need to catch panfish are foam-bodied "spiders" with rubber legs for topwater work, and a small (size 10 or 12) woolly bugger in assorted colors.

Trout -- that's a more complicated question. My version of a good general trout selection would be as follows:

Dry flies -- Parachute Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Stimulator (yellow and olive), Royal Wulff and/or Royal Trude, each in sizes 10-18 or so.

Nymphs -- Hare's Ear (tan, olive, black), Pheasant Tail, Prince Nymph, Copper John, each in sizes 10-18

Wet Flies -- Hare's Ear Soft Hackle, Partridge and Orange Soft Hackle, Partridge and Yellow Soft Hackle, Starling and Purple Soft Hackle -- sizes 12-16

Streamers-- Woolly Bugger (weighted and unweigheted, various colors), Zonker (Olive, Black, White, Tan) -- sizes 2-10.

Beware, though -- you will get as many versions of "Basic Trout Selection" as the number of fly tyers you ask. :)

I really liked my echo base, great rod for the price. It's only flaw was that the tip wasn't tough enough to withstand getting crushed when I rolled up the front window on it.

I really liked my echo base, great rod for the price. It's only flaw was that the tip wasn't tough enough to withstand getting crushed when I rolled up the front window on it.

I hope never to do that

I hope never to do that

Everyone agrees with you.

Hello i wanting to get into fly fishing so I bought a used Elkhorn T2 reel and a new Echo basic 590-4 rod. Im wanting to know if this setup is any good, and should last me along time? I havent received the reel or rod yet. I know the reel has line on it not sure what kind or the length. Ill use the rod around here in NC for some panfish, and when I go to Colorado on rainbow trout. What brand/type of flys should I get must get starting out? Thank yall

Trout flies vary by area and watershed. It is best to visit the local fly shop OR to hook up someone who knows the rivers.

Here's the problem. The insect hatches occur according to the time of year and so the "best" flies vary through the season. Byron has given you a general selection of flies but for a specific river and time of year, there will be flies that are not on that list which will perform better because they are a closer imitation to what is hatching.

For example, at this time of year (July) it may be that terrestrials like a grasshopper pattern or ants will be a good fly to use. But you have no idea of what color or size of grasshopper pattern is the best for where you will be fishing in Colorado.

I am a firm believer that local knowledge trumps speculation every time. If you know where you will be fishing and the time of year, post it and the information will me more accurate for what flies you need.

Then there is the problem of "how" the flies should be fished. As a beginner, I suspect you have no idea of how to best fish a wet fly vs a nymph. You need someway of learning that also.

I don't fish for trout, as there are none in my area. Bluegill and other members of the Sunfish family are my prey. There's been many times when the big fish aren't taking top water presentations. Poppers, foam spiders and the like are a blast when the fish are blasting the top trying to take them. When they're not, you'll sometimes see wakes and swirls, but no takes.

That's when you'll need sub-surface flies. Small streamers, wooly buggers and minnow imitations are key to catching near surface fish.

Then you'll want a few patterns that are a little heavier. Sunfish always look up, so slow sinking patterns work better than heavy flies that go right to the bottom. Sunfish will tip up and look at "food" on the bottom, but if it's sinking slow, you'll have a better chance of grabbing their attention.

Little Sunfish are easy to catch ... but then, so are hungry little trout. Big Sunfish can be as hard to catch as the shyest trout out there. Mostly depends on the amount of fishing pressure they have to put up with, in both species.

Trout flies vary by area and watershed. It is best to visit the local fly shop OR to hook up someone who knows the rivers.

I agree with SilverCreek on this point--generally.

Here's the problem. The insect hatches occur according to the time of year and so the "best" flies vary through the season. Byron has given you a general selection of flies but for a specific river and time of year, there will be flies that are not on that list which will perform better because they are a closer imitation to what is hatching.

Again I agree -- generally. How selective the fish are depends partially on the watershed you're fishing. On a heavily fished catch-and-release river with large trout, no question, you're going to need the "right" fly, and that fly is likely to be a local pattern found only in local fly shops. On a high mountain freestone creek full of small, hungry trout, you'll likely get by just fine with that basic trout selection.

For example, at this time of year (July) it may be that terrestrials like a grasshopper pattern or ants will be a good fly to use. But you have no idea of what color or size of grasshopper pattern is the best for where you will be fishing in Colorado.

Yes! I knew I forgot something -- ants and hoppers. Don't leave home without them!

I am a firm believer that local knowledge trumps speculation every time. If you know where you will be fishing and the time of year, post it and the information will me more accurate for what flies you need.

Then there is the problem of "how" the flies should be fished. As a beginner, I suspect you have no idea of how to best fish a wet fly vs a nymph. You need someway of learning that also.

Also true -- hiring a guide or going with a knowledgeable local is a good way to shorten the learning curve on fisheries that are new to you.

Sunnies hit anything tied on the end of the line including trout flies so I see no need to buy flies marketed for sunnies. Actually I see no reason to ever buy sunnie flies because they are so quick, simple and cheap to tie with no fancy tying gear.

Hey, OP... When are you coming to CO, & where do you plan to Fish?

You could call for Recommendations...

Denver Fly Shop (720) 524-8006

Discount Fishing Tackle (303) 698-2550

:)