Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Few more tubes

Piker20, I'm tying a Grey Ghost on a brass tube right now and I think I'm going to like them. I have aluminum tubes as well. Metal tubes may negate me having to put a bead up front.

That last fly in the four fly series you posted above is interesting. Well they are all interesting but that one caught my eye.

I like aluminium tubes as they don't sink too fast and swim well on a sink tip.

The last fly is a Zelda. Basically a stripped down Frances and seems to do well on low water either upstream nymph style or down and across with long strips after sinking.

I like aluminium tubes as they don't sink too fast and swim well on a sink tip.

The last fly is a Zelda. Basically a stripped down Frances and seems to do well on low water either upstream nymph style or down and across with long strips after sinking.

Well Zelda is interesting !

I haven't yet tied really short bodied tube flies or wet flies on tubes, mostly conventional streamers on plastic tubes. I probably have enough plastic tubes to hold me for years but think I'm going to be liking the metal ones . Plastic tends to want to float. Last year I had a salmon slapping at my Gray Ghost not far off the back of the anchored canoe. I was having a hard time keeping the fly under the surface film on the swing. So I stripped it in and put a bead ahead of the fly which was enough to hold it under on the swing maybe a foot or so. Second cast I had that salmon on. I didn't want to resort to tying these with beads or cones so I think metal tubes will be great.

Yep, metal tubes have lots of benefits. You can even tie just a wing at the heads and allow the copper or alu to be the body.

I like to fish most of my tubes with no soft silicone at the back and just a free swinging hook. Tangles far less with the wing and can make the hook sit closer to the middle of the fly which is often where salmon hit.

Very nice Piker. I'll have to get the tube tying stuff out of the closet. Did you ever try boar bristle brushes for a hair supply source? I'm going to cut one up and steam set a curve and try it.

Hi chugbug the lads across the pond seem like the hair from the last part over the fence. Long, stiff, curved. My nephew from Alabama sent some, I was thinking about the cheap Chinese boar paint brushes as a source. steam bent over a form like a golden pheasant crest.

Maybe I'm off on it, cp, but the Dette boar piece does have nice long curved hairs with great scraggly ends, I'll post a pic when I get a chance

Here's a pic of one hair

post-60546-0-46266700-1517888083_thumb.jpg

and one of the bunch

post-60546-0-37563000-1517888091_thumb.jpg

Boar will take a nice curve simply ran over your nail or back of scissors. I've never bothered steaming to set but it'll probably work.

Yep, paintbrushes are a good source of feelers. Especially the broad wallpaper brushes. have funny looks if I spend too long in the make-up aisle looking at brushes!!

Funny Piker you should see the looks I get looking at nail polish colors and checking them with a UV light.

I was quizzing the women at the hair salon about the uv nail gels and bulk prices etc. Don't think she bought my story it was for flies. Don't go there for haircuts anymore.

I use the uv set nail polish all the time. My girlfriend give me a couple of the colours she no longer uses much any more and I prefer it to my normal head cement. Plus it comes with it's own brush.