Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

I'm filling my fly boxes. I love filling fly boxes. I get a real sense of accomplishment when I fill one up.

Right now I'm going through an Orvis fly tying manual and tying all the flies in it. It gives me practice and I am learning a lot of the old stand-by flies. All of them are fishable in our waters.

So far, I've done Wooly-Buggers, Bead head Soft Hackles, G.R. Hares Ear Nymph and the Adams. I added some moose hair to the body of some of the Adams to make them mosquitoes. This exercise is getting me to do things I haven't done before, like make my own hare and musk rat dubbing. I compared the natural hares ear dubbing to the ready made and like the natural much better. It gives the nymph a much more organic appearance to me.

DSCF2862-XL.jpg

DSCF2857-XL.jpg

DSCF2856%20%281%29-XL.jpg

So now the two major things I am going to work on are fly-to -fly uniformity and appropriate head size.

What are you working on these days?

It's just starting to get cold here in Florida. So I am currently working on building up fat reserves for the Winter hibernation period.

I'm also working on avoiding christmas lights until it's too late to put them up ... hopefully preventing the taking them down part later.

right now its spaghetti and meat balls smile.png

pulling matching feathers off of eurasian jay wings

Are they the blue feathers? Can you show me some flies tied with them? Enjoy the 'sketty.

It's just starting to get cold here in Florida. So I am currently working on building up fat reserves for the Winter hibernation period.

I'm also working on avoiding christmas lights until it's too late to put them up ... hopefully preventing the taking them down part later.

No, I mean what flies are you working on? The flies man, the flies.

By the way, what's "cold" there? Your eyelets never freeze there do they? You should come up here and go ice fishing with me. We went Sunday and caught 19. Rainbows, silvers, a king and a char.

I working on a Christmas present for my niece's husband. He's an avid fly fisherman and my niece dabbles in it and is trying to learn fly tying. She might show up on the forum one of these days. Anyway, they have just moved from South Dakota, staying at my sister's for the holidays and will be settling in Vermont after Christmas. I'm tying him up a box or two of flies. Right now I working on some generic soft hackle bead head nymphs using feathers that they've sent, pheasant, turkey and chicken. Also using some parrot wing feathers and goose feathers someone sent a few years ago. Size 12 and 14. Have about 2 dozen tied right now. When I finish them, I'll toss in some mini-mop flies then move on to the dry flies and finish up with some warm water flies... At least next year I'll have someone to fish with when I go up to Vermont.

Can you show me some flies tied with them?

heres one

Dhpfh5c.jpg

the others will have to wait

spaghetti was deeeeeeeelicious

I working on a Christmas present for my niece's husband. He's an avid fly fisherman and my niece dabbles in it and is trying to learn fly tying. She might show up on the forum one of these days. Anyway, they have just moved from South Dakota, staying at my sister's for the holidays and will be settling in Vermont after Christmas. I'm tying him up a box or two of flies. Right now I working on some generic soft hackle bead head nymphs using feathers that they've sent, pheasant, turkey and chicken. Also using some parrot wing feathers and goose feathers someone sent a few years ago. Size 12 and 14. Have about 2 dozen tied right now. When I finish them, I'll toss in some mini-mop flies then move on to the dry flies and finish up with some warm water flies... At least next year I'll have someone to fish with when I go up to Vermont.

Can you show me some of them?

Can you show me some flies tied with them?

heres one

Dhpfh5c.jpg

the others will have to wait

spaghetti was deeeeeeeelicious

That's nice. So that's pheasant tail and jay wing?

I only tie about 6 of each fly that I normally use. So I am not working on any at the moment ... all stocked up for now.

Cold here is in the 30's ... give or take. Not only don't the guides freeze ... neither does the water. Ice fishing here means hooking an ice cube out of the tea glass. You can have your version of cold, I'm fine complaining about mine.

theres no pheasant tail. blue hackle hackle and eurasian jay wing feather

Eurasian%20Jay%20Wings.JPG

n_1332-23.jpg

Got it, very nice. The two blues match perfectly.

Mark, I haven't taken any pictures yet. I've got three more of the size 12's to tie. I'll take some pictures when I finish those. Unlike Mike I'm tying three of each color.

Mark, I haven't taken any pictures yet. I've got three more of the size 12's to tie. I'll take some pictures when I finish those. Unlike Mike I'm tying three of each color.

I'd love to see them when you get done.