Fly Tying
JoeO

Peacock Herl hand wrap or hackle pliers

Peacock hear Hand or Pier  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find that when using peacock herl that hand wrapping save lot of aggrivation especially when using multiple strands.

I have several types of pliers and with all of them I have broken the herl and end up just using my hand

The only time I use hackle pliers on herl is when I have a short piece that is just enough to use for my pattern. Then I need the pliers because my fingers are too big to finish wrapping.

Typically I use neither method. I usually reinforce the herl with a dubbing loop and wrap that way. When I forego the loop, I might wrap by hand or use wire clips if the bundle is sufficiently large.

Hi JoeO;

I've experienced that same problems as you with hackle pliers breaking the herl and or letting loose of one herl in a bundle at the worst opportunity. Now I just use my hands.

An interesting technique for handling herl I recently viewed on Sylvest Nemes's Tying soft hackle DVD. He ties the herl in at the center of the strands where you want the herl to begin. He then grabs both ends and wraps to completion. Haven't tried it yet but it looks promising.

Wayneb

I usually tie in a length of black monocord with the herl & grab it with a one of those electronic mini grabbers that I have removed any sharp edges from. I found that leaving a little slack in the thread & letting it wrap around works better than keeping it the same length as the herl. Of course if I twist it too tight a strand of herl will break.

when wrapping herl for a body, I always use a dubbing loop. I twist the herl around one leg several times, then twist the loop and wrap around the hook using the dubbing loop tool. This keeps the herl from breaking and reinforces it very well. I think it makes the herl body look more uniform, plus you can add other materials to the loop, like CDC.

I spiral wrap thread closely through the length of peacock herls before wrapping by hand . This method even stands up to Atlantic Salmon fishing very well as salmon can be very

hard on salmon fly construction........Frank

I use the same method as FWALSH for bodies only it's not that closely spiraled. It's very quick and the hanging bobbin actually helps a little by swinging around as your wrapping the herl. It really doesn't take that much thread to re-enforce the herl at all.

Regards,

Mark

you didnt give a choice for both sio i didnt vote.longer strands,which i prefer,i dont use pliers i use my fingers,for the reason u mentioned.but shorter herls,i use the pliers and brake a few i assure u.

shane

Ok, wrapping herl, both peacock and ostrich, the base fiber of the herl can be wound like a hackle, this is a must for proper Royal Wulff’s and royal family flies. Certain midges require peacock sword herl for the smaller diameter. Zugbugs, and peacock bodied wet flies you can use a dubbing loop, however you waste time with any material that has a base fiber that can be tied by twisting the tying thread once around once then tying them in together. It saves way more time than messing with a dubbing loop.

So I guess I am saying, leave the hackle pliers on the bench.

Any questions, let me know. Cheers, Futzer.

I have trouble when I am using 2 or 3 pecies keeping the base tight together they want to spread apart. I tried a loop method and still used my hand but found it more work but it did keep the base closer together as I wrapped but still used my hand :rolleyes:

I use my hands for wrapping everything. Sometimes it is very frustrating with the really small stuff, but, every time I clip on the hackle pliers, or those little electronic clips, the thought goes through my head - "this is going to break in about 15 seconds".

Usually does. Don't know why I keep trying. :wallbash:

Min

I do not own hackle pliers. I have used a type of artery clamp for 30 years. I posted a picture of them once and got a lot of PM's. I take a very fine gold wire (think hair diameter) and wrap it around the peacock. It adds strength and a subtle flash.