Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So the other vise thread is too long and too old in many cases. Many of us have changed/upgraded vises. There are some new vises out there etc. So here is a new thread with updated choices. Your chance to vote again and tell the world why you piece of steel is the best! Please no vise bashing! (Wicked we know that vice sucks! :lol: ) Be constructive B)

I voted for HMH :yahoo: Great price and a great grip! The best tying clearance! Simple as it gets and well made I tie 6000+ flies a year on mine. For the average tier this could be the last vise you ever buy!!! Other vises I like/second and third are the Dyna King and the Regal.

I've got a $20 vise from Cabela's that came with my beginners set. Reworked to make it ture rotary, it's served me well, it's over 5 years old. My dream vise is the Renzetti Masters!

I got a Renzetti traveler for my birthday after my el cheapo fell apart. I haven't had any troubles with it and works great for what I do. Worth a try I think but I haven't had much else to compare to so.............

I use the Renzetti vise. I have had my 3000 for about 38 years and it still is a fantastic vise. Two years ago I got a 2000 vise for the bench. :yahoo: :yahoo:

I started with a Danvise, used it for one winter, then got a Peak, used that for the following spring, and then I got the Dyna-King Ron Abby Signature Edition. I am very pleased with this vise, and doubt that I will ever have anything else.

I've had an el cheepo and a danvise . But now I tie on an Anvil. It's a simple well made functional vise .

I have a Dyna-King Voyager 2, a Dyna-King Trekker and a Dyna-King Kingfisher. All have their uses and all 3 get used.

Mike

I used to have a Cabela's Master vise but I have since gotten a Peak. I really like it. That whole rotary thing is way cool ;)

I have a Dyna-King Voyager 2. Most verisatle vise for hook holding. I have tied down to a 26 and up to a 2/0 using just the standard jaws. I have tied also on a Renzetti, did not like the vise for hand postioning for tail placement. the vise got in the way.

Carlp5351

For the past 14 months I've been tying on a LAW and I am extremely happy with it. It is for me, the perfect vise.

I have been tying on a Peak for about 2years, prior to that I used a Reed Tackle (!!) Master vise, which is the same as a current Cabela's Master vise. I flat wore that thing out and it lasted many years. The jump to a rotary exceeded my expectations. My tying, especially of streamers, improved overnight. A couple of quirks needed to be addressed, the most recent being the slippage of Mustad 3407 plated hooks, (thanks Trad!) and I wish the jaw tension adjustment nut was finer threaded and had a textured surface. On the standard jaws I've tied down to 18 and could go smaller but I don't have the need, and up to 2/0 heavy wire with good results. All in all I consider it a great value and extremely versatile.