Fly Tying
utyer

More fun with frogs

Thanks to a generous gift (you know who you are,) of some rope, I have been working on some more frog patterns. Here are a couple using macrame yarn for legs. The yarn can be used as it is woven for larger frog legs, or separated out to make smaller legs. I have used it on some patterns by handshake looping the yarn with a loop of mono. The mono is then tied to the hook shank leaving just enough loop to allow the legs to move. The tail end can be knotted, and trimmed out for feet, or knotted to rubber legs (also in a handshake loop,) for the feet.

The first pattern is tied with the legs frayed and looped, then craft foam is used for the body. The second pattern uses legs of the woven yarn, which is then tied off with thread and the ends frayed out and trimmed for the feet. The body of the second pattern is a strip of a drink cozy I found at Dollar Tree.

post-12074-0-65437800-1369492928_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-29861800-1369492943_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-60836100-1369492953_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-37836600-1369492963_thumb.jpg

Those flies look good to me!

Wyoming, Pennsylvania, all parts in between, and now Florida, you must have quite a selection of rods. Have you picked a stick that will handle your frogs?

Right now, I have nothing heavier than an 8 weight, but I have a 9, 9.5 and 10 foot rods. One of them should be able to throw these.