Fly Tying
Blackwater Virgil

Wow! The sonic boom fly!

Fellas, I recently tied up some jigs using the sonic boom fly in the most recent Fly Tyer magazine as the pattern, and gee, golly, wow am I impressed! Tied up a few with crystal chenile and the little side panel of holographic tinsel, and MAN! Were they ever more sparkly! If the fish want some, thing sparkly, I will certainly have it now, and I DO expect to encounter just such situations in the near future, so will try to remember to give a report here. Will be tying up some with the barbell eyes for the long rod ASAP, too. I expect this will become a mainstaple for me very soon. Nobody really LIKES to cast flies with spinners, of course. It complicates the cast, BUT, if it'll catch fish, it'd take a real dullard not to put up with that.

The concept, of course, is the same as that of the Road Runner jigs that have proven themselves so often and so well. Following tracks like that can't lead anywhere bad. If you haven't tried tying some, give it a whirl and see what you think. Oh! And don't leave off that little side panel of tinsel. I think I'm gonna' really LIKE this little "bug," whether for the long rod or with jigs on UL spinners.

Guest rich mc

craig is a real fly innovator you can see his stuff on his site www.offthedeepedge.com he comes up with new stuff all the time and improvments of his older stuff rich mc

I had to look it up. I never heard of it before. I don't think it is for me. My casting is bad enough that I'd be wearing it as a piercing. I can pull off the beadhead look, but I don't think I could rock the spinner blade.

When you get it wet, let us know how it fishes. And catches, of course.

Kirk

Mike, I still haven't gotten my round tuit to re-learn how to post pics, but maybe soon? Craig seems to be very much the same type of fisherman I am. I think all of us appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship that goes into some of the wondrous flies we see now. It's absolutely amazing. But, my taste is mainly just for something that'll catch fish, and do it better than what I have and tie now. Craig seems to maybe be onto some concepts that I'd never thought of, and I have great faith they'll do what I want to do with them. Of course I'll likely give my versions my own little twists, but that's half the fun of tying our own. Now that I'm retired and have the time to do more, maybe I'll even develop into a half-decent tyer if he Good Lord gives me the time.

I can't help but wonder what the Sonic Boom might do in salt water, too? I have a feeling it would acquit itself well. May get to try that soon, when I'm fully healed up from the recent surgery. Can't wait!

post-37956-0-76821000-1425387434_thumb.jpg

This might the sonic boom fly that Virgil is talking about Mike.

Exactly! And the Road Runners are proven beyond any need to do so further. Yes, the spinner WILL make casting more "intriguing," but if it pays off, who among us would limit ourselves to foregoing it only on that account? The very small size of the spinner blades will make it a LITTLE easier, but it's still a spinner, and not the easiest of things to cast. I need to become a better caster anyhow, so maybe this is a new challenge that I can meet? And BTW, that other Sonic Boom is a good looking fly. Is it for salt or fresh? I'm tying up some flies for the salt, intending to try to learn to catch fish there, too. Never been much of a salt water fisherman, so it ought to get really interesting. Went a few times some years back, and though I didn't know what I was dong, really, still managed to catch a goodly number of fish - enough to make it worth the while - and the fresh challenge and adventure made it a very worthy pursuit. This being retired would be like being a kid again if it weren't for the physical limitations, etc. And it's funny, but given an attentive eye and perceptive mood, it's amazing how easy it is to catch enough fish to "get by" and be at least satisfying enough to keep us coming back. You trout fishermen may have another take on this when they get picky, I know, but anyone who doesn't enjoy getting a tug on his line can't really call lhimself a "fisherman," can he?

And BTW, I noticed with great interest he said it was good for shellcrackers and for shad. It takes a very special fly/lure to attract so many species so very well. It's very unusual to see a single fly that catches so many species across the board, so as soon as I get fully recovered from this darn surgery, I'm gonna' go try 'em out and see for myself. I've always thought of shellcrackers as the bluegill's smarter, pickier cousin. They can be harder to catch, at least a bit spookier on average, and can be harder to catch on artificials than bluegill. I guess you could say I'm pretty pumped up at the prospect of trying something new that promises so much. Went to Craig's website and he's surely got some interesting flies to try, and I have a feeling I'm going to be one of his biggest fans. Shad season's about over here now, so I guess it'll be next year for me before I can try it on them, but I'll sure be looking forward to doing so. THANKS, Craig, if you read this!

Just to add ... guys down here have been using something similar for some time.....a woolly bugger with a spinner like the sonic boom style.

A few people swear by its ability to catch native species. ( Aussie Natives of course)Fresh waterwhatis1.jpg

This one is a saltwater version with a little prop at the front..The propeller headed Gar fish.whatis9.jpg