Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingheaven

What type of flies to you find most challenging?

What type of fly to you find most challenging to tie?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I said streamer but really meant those fancy salmon spey patterns that I drool over submitted by all the members bugeyes.gif

Ken cool.gif

Ditto. You should add an option for classic salmon patterns. That, or specify that you don't want people to count those, so you get a better survey of the other types.

I find them all challenging because I've never tied a sly. laugh.gif

only kidding...as far as the poll goes I picked hairwing because I tied my first one's (steelhead/salmon) the other day.so far I have tied abbout 35 to 40.

I assumed by "streamers" that you were referring to traditional Maine streamers. They can be challenging. I am really surprised that you didn't include spun deer hair as a voting category. Most folks I know hate spinning hair.

I'd say my personal weakness is in tying married quill wings (or any quill wings for that matter). I don't do it enough to be proficient, so when I DO try I end up with something that looks like the fly I posted in the Warm Water forum help.gif

Joe C.

Yes the full dressed salmon patterns by far. Other than that, hairwing flies are a bit of a challenge for me. The floss bodies are a challenge to keep even.

Anything smaller than a #14 is difficult. I've seen some amazing flies tied on a #32 hook, I could never do that.

blink.gif

For me... I'd have to say those midge patterns. I typically don't tie anything smaller than a 16. Those smaller like 18 - 22's are just out there. Bad enough to tie but attaching to a tippet yikes...

Cheers, Hansen

Feather-wing streamers, by far. That's why I held the swap, to get some much needed practice. The bodies are easy, the wings, cheeks, and eyes are still a pain in the @$$ for me. Thankfully, I'm using the Stevens method of gluing them all up before mounting them on the hook, but it's still no picnic.

I hate to tie Prince nymphs. For some reason, I have an awful time with the white horns on the front. When I'm done, the darn things point in whichever direction they want. I don't let it stop me, I tie them anyway, and the fish don't mind how they look.

Caddisfly

just wait, some day you'll all be as good as me and then you won't have any problems tying all sorts of flies... tongue.gif

seriously, i have to say my dry flies, not because they are hard but because i'm a perfectionist, i won't settle for second best and i'm always trying to make them better...i can't say the classic salmon flies cause i've never tried to tie them...and my deer hair bass bugs have progressed to a level that i feel comfortable with (not saying that they are great, but they do catch fish)