Fly Tying
nathan

Adult Dragonfly I’ve been working on

Been working on this one on and off for about a year..I think I have it about done..Nathan

post-1135-0-16310900-1559241187_thumb.jpeg

post-1135-0-54561700-1559241219_thumb.jpeg

post-1135-0-06340900-1559241301_thumb.jpeg

Good luck with that. It looks cool. But I don't think it'll be a fishable fly.

It will sink in actual use. The foam will soak up enough water that it won't sit in the film like it's doing in the glass. Resistance against those wings will likely make it spin through the air during casting, twisting your leader/tippet.

I do like the look ... and I'm interested in hearing about your results on the water.

I think that the mono loop wings will interfere with fish taking the fly.

Here's the pattern I would suggest for a dragonfly pattern. I would tie a variation of the Borger Braided Butt Blue Damsel pattern substituting thicker foam for the braided butt damsel body.

http://www.johnkreft.com/lake-flies/braided-butt-damsel-fly-variant/

post-27478-0-06234900-1559250112_thumb.png

Mike,

The body is a trout size rubber worm..I use white so I can color them with sharpies..makes for body with a lot of movement

That is 3mm foam...That thing floats like a cork.And the wings do not cause any casting problems...They just suggest wings..nothing really to catch the air..Nathan

post-1135-0-54733300-1559251730_thumb.jpeg

That's not floating like a cork. I like the use of the trout worm but I'm not a fan of the wing representation either.

I think converting it into a damselfly would really work well with the trout worm. I would ditch the mono wings, weight the fly, tent the wings and fish it as a streamer. I agree the trout worm has to have an incredible action that probably mimics a swimming adult damselfly like no fur or feather ever could.

I too have tried the adult dragon fly project, and will say that I think the wing type is a good design. Tying big dragon fly wings that are more realistic act like a parachute when casting the fly. I know this from experience. Super cool dragon fly with killer looking wings and it didn't cast worth a darn. Think about it. Was great looking, but if you can't fish it , it is worthless. People tend to worry about looks when making a fly, when how it cast, and its action are the critical factors to creating a real winner. A clouser minnow doesn't look like a real minnow very much to me, but a lot of us full well know how effective they are.

Nice concept with the wings. Create the illusion of wings rather than wings that will catch air and make the fly hard to cast. I do agree with Mike that it won't float well even using the 3 mm foam. Generally, when I tie them I use a pattern similar to the one Silver Creek posted. Since craft foam, which I use for the bodies, does absorb water after a while, I've been coating foam bodies with a light coat of one of the UV flex resins, I have Solarez and Deek Creek. Based on tests in my bathroom sink they do float like a cork. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to fish a couple when I head up to Vermont and see how they work in a fishing situation.

why use a rubber worm (heavy) for the extended body when foam (light) would help to float the fly better?

it may float like a cork in a glass of water but we dont fish in a glass of water. how does it float in a real fishing situation?

I dont know what else to say...It casts well..and floats really well.Ive spent a lot of time with it on my pond while developing it.

I used a worm tail for movement..I want my flies to look alive...There isnt that much weight added with the worm tail..Plus it cocks the butt down just a hair and gets it under water...I could have used foam for the tail but that would give no movement at all..Nathan

I think it really looks cool. I generally fish nymphs so can't really comment beyond looks as to how it will or will not float on a stream but the few flies I have tied with foam have all worked for me.

I’ve tied a lot of dragonflies and damselfly patterns in the past.

Some impressionistic and some very realistic.

Blue damselflies are everywhere down here in the south and fish eat them up.

I basically don’t tie them anymore or fish them because everything I put wings on basically sucked for the reasons stated/posted above.

I really like your wing concept. That’ll work just fine.

I’m probably gonna have to try this. Thanks for the idea.

Where are you getting that Worm tail at?

Got a link or a name?

T.I.A

Mike,

Here are the two type worms I use.I like the Lip Ripperz a bit more..just cut to length.The diameter of the worm makes it difficult to tie it in so I Add a bit of nylon to tie to ( notice the yellow worm in the picture)Just heat your bodkin and make a whole about 1/4 deep...Melt the top of the nylon to a ball add some super glue Joel and slide the nylon into the whole in the worm and set aside to dry.Nathan

post-1135-0-04820800-1559567463_thumb.jpeg