Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Suggestions for a basic materials kit?

materials

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

I have been tying flies for more than 55 years...I (as I suspect some of my other fly tying friends) have become a fly tying materials and tools junkie. I am Mike and I am addicted to collecting fly tying stuff! I figure that I started out at 8 years old tying flies to save money...What a fallicy!! Over the years, I figure my flies come out to about $300 each - unless I stop buying and live for another 200 years tying every day!

#17 Meeshka

Meeshka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:03 PM

Well put Flyty1!

#18 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

It is cheaper than therapy, marginally.

#19 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-3

#20 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:41 PM

My condolences for your infliction. Me, I'm the exact opposite when it comes to fly tying. I without a doubt save a ton of money tying my own flies and if I didn't I wouldn't tie them. I don't collect stuff, I don't fill endless fly boxes just to fill fly boxes, I don't buy materials just to buy when I can substitute with any number of other things and I don't spend a bunch of money on simplistic "tools." Best thing my father ever taught me was, "don't spend money when money don't need to be spent." A pearl of wisdom I absorbed and passed on to my kids as well. Granted after a number of years the stuff does seem to accumulate but that's because of the shear number of flies that can be tied from one small 2 dollar pack of dubbing or a 60 dollar intro pack of 4 half capes.

In the long run, if it makes you happy have it and collect away because money can buy happiness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: materials