Fly Tying
vicente

Christmas swap knife

Got started working on it on a bit this morning and figured I would post pictures of thr build progress. I decided to do a chef's/kitchen knife this year, I was going to do a smaller 5 inch blade but ended up with a 6.5 inch. I'm still trying to decide on handle colors and materials if anyone who plans to participate in the raffle has requests let me know. For you non-US people I went with a kitchen knife partly so that you could participate if desired without customs becoming an issue.

Here's the first picture the blade steel is 15n20 high carbon which is what I use in all my non stainless kitchen knives, as it has decent rust resistance fo to thr high nickel content and takes a very fine sharp edge.

post-58401-0-29255200-1573244849_thumb.jpg

I think it will shape up nicely I did an 8 inch one that was kind of a stretched out version of this that came out pretty nice.

I don't think I have any black g10 or micarta thick enough for scales, I have a plethora of dyed stabilized woods and hybrid wood resin material though along with burlap and natural canvas micarta.

I wish I had your talent sir. Maybe someday after the house is finished and I get my workshop set up I will dabble into the world of knife making. Always been an interest of mine.

Your skill has really come long way! What material are those scales made of? Stabilized burl? Regardless your decision on how to place them is very appealing. The background is a bit unfortunate for them in that photo but you can still see that the colors just work well. Often the colored resins just look a bit gaudy to me and overpower the wood, well chosen. I have a question about the first image, what is the purpose of the partially drilled holes (not the three pin holes)?

Swamp

Thanks guys, swamp the scales on that one are buckeye and blue, I agree the background isn't ideal, I think lighting was more the issue though, it was just a quick picture I took right before I mailed it out.

Anyways, some more of the swap knife here's a picture of straightening post heat treat I always seem to get a bit of a warp in chef's knives I think it's just the metal bending from its own weight when it's in the heat treat oven.

Here are also some handle material choices I'm open to putting on if anyone has a preference, I also have a good amount of stabilized buckeye and resin hybrids mostly in blue or green.

post-58401-0-05401100-1574131458_thumb.jpg

post-58401-0-38384800-1574131472_thumb.jpg

I like the blue toned scales. The two wood scales are nice ... but ... BLUE wins!

I knew you would say that, and if you were participating in the Christmas swap I'd put on for sure.

Here's one of the blade most of the way through grinding, I did a proprietary right hand S grind on which wasn't done yet in the picture, if a lefty wins it you can mail it back to me and I'll make a left hand version for you. I did end up going with a blue stabilized woods set different than the one I posted though a bit darker and just seemed to fit the blade better. Next pictures will be completed or close to it.

Swamp I forgot to answer your question about the partial holes they're just there to help epoxy hold on better, I usually go all the way through but the steel was work hardening super bad maybe partially because I ran out of cutting fluid and used gear oil instead.

post-58401-0-51075000-1574905835_thumb.jpg

.... I did a proprietary right hand S grind on which wasn't done yet in the picture, if a lefty wins it you can mail it back to me and I'll make a left hand version for you.

Okay, education time for this non-custom knife user.

What is a "right hand S grind"?

.... I did a proprietary right hand S grind on which wasn't done yet in the picture, if a lefty wins it you can mail it back to me and I'll make a left hand version for you.

Okay, education time for this non-custom knife user.

What is a "right hand S grind"?

It's a hollow grind inside of flat or convex grind one side of the blade is flat ground then I grind a concave in the center the length of the blade, it keeps food from sticking to the blade while you're cutting.