Fly Tying
DarrellP

Glue reaction to FTD products. Need glue advice

I have had Krazy glue react with Pearl Web by FTD. Does not seem to react with Congo Hair. Anyone had problems with CA glue and any of their other products? I am new to the synthetics game and need advice on glues for finishing heads. Btw, I am tying with Clear mono made by Danville.

You might try one of the "foam friendly" super glues. They're designed to not affect plastics.

I've been using this one for a bit now, I was using their medium for fly tying but I like this better as it's got some flex after hardening, it works well for attaching eyes to fiber baitsfish as well I used to use fletch tight for that but i think this works just as well and is easier to use. Almost all the synthetics I use are from FTD I've never noticed a bad reaction I've also used it with foam without issues.

post-58401-0-17640400-1576862623_thumb.jpg

Not just FTD ... but all "rubber" leg material seems to be affected by "Super Glue". At least, all the rubber legs I have.

I'm not sure about CA adhesives, but with most, it's not the "glue" part ... it's the solvent that carries the glue.

Water based adhesives usually are the least reactive with plastics ... they're also, usually, the least effective.

I've had the same thing happen. For me though, If I left everything alone, undisturbed, the glue and the fibers would harden back up and everything would be fine.

Mine turned white and opaque

No, that didn't happen to me. You must have different glue. I've been using EZ bond. It's what we sell in our store for knife making and it seems to work well for tying flies too. Like I said earlier, it melts some of the very small fibers but once it dries, everything is fine.

Look into BSI glues( Bob Smith industries) All their glues are high-quality its about all I use nowadays.

Give them a call or shoot them an email and tell him what youre trying to do and they will have a glue for it.

I have had Krazy glue react with Pearl Web by FTD. Does not seem to react with Congo Hair. Anyone had problems with CA glue and any of their other products? I am new to the synthetics game and need advice on glues for finishing heads. Btw, I am tying with Clear mono made by Danville.

Please define what you mean by "react"

If you get superglue on your hand and try to wash it off, it will certainly turn white, opaque, and pretty much instantly cure. Are you applying it to something that is wet?

I used FTD products all the time along with Gorilla Glue "Clear" with out any problems. Give it a try. Also from the big box craft store any of the fabric fusion type glues will work.

If you get superglue on your hand and try to wash it off, it will certainly turn white, opaque, and pretty much instantly cure. Are you applying it to something that is wet?

ALL Superglues(Cyanoacrylate) are cured by water.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/spuerglue2.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

UV resins are also acrylates and should NOT be used to coat areas of superglue. They can react with each other.