Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Camp'n'fish

Rubber Legs

I've use bungee cord elastic before. Looks good for a little while. For some reason, it ... decays? ... quickly. in only a few weeks, the strands became weaker, until they would break instead of stretch.

It might have been that particular bungee ... but I haven't tried it since.

Good luck with yours.

Years ago when I lived up north and access to many items was not readily available I poured my own jigs and used rubber worm bodies trimmed to size to make my own "Ugly Bugs". For rubber legs on back and sides of bugs I would pull the elastic out of old underwear that still had some elasticity to them. Worked great and didn't seem to decay at all. 'Course, seldom got a lot of time out a jig since rocks would gobble them pretty regularly while walleye fishing either rock reefs or river bottoms.

Fly tyers dungeon has them cheap and in a good selection of colors, 10$ will probably buy more than I am ever going to use.

Havent used rubber legs in many years precisely because they deteriorate too quickly...

Much prefer sili-legs which are available in almost every fly shop these days.

I started off using rubber legs many years ago. I had same problems with them. They deteriorated, lost their shape or got stuck on other poppers in the fly box. I had some spinner baits in my tackle box and I took the skirts off them and started using them for legs. This is long before "sili legs" became popular.. These days I order either spinner bait skirts or spinner bait skirt layers from places like Jann's Netcraft or Barlow's which have several pages of them in their catalogs. I'll use a spinner bait skirt for the tail on my larger poppers and for a couple of my flies.

post-309-0-45095800-1581280616_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-16632400-1581280807_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-90427800-1581280881_thumb.jpg

Rubber legs decay as they are organic like rubber bands.I get extra fine and regular spinner bait skirts 3 for a 1.00 in any color imaginable.I love fly shops but they are very good at repackaging and renaming common products for 10x or more what the stuff costs.Places like Netcraft sell silcone skirt/leg material in bulk.I still tend to spend a fortune on feathers and hooks,Pretty dumb being i only fish warmwater and really only need a few patterns,It' a hobby dam it.that's what i tell the wife any way.

Hi Camp'n'fish,

The "stringies" inside a boat bungee are protected from UV by the outer covering. Regular rubber leg material or silicone skirts for bass lures make much better legs on fishing flies. In time, even they will become brittle with dry rot. Take care & ...