Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

12' 5/6wt Spey

nhPaAH.jpg
go4QTw.jpg
i22u8b.jpg
5SWQSd.jpg

12' 5/6wt spey rod for a friend so that he can join in on the two handed fun my fishing buddy & I have become so addicted to over the past year. Custom burl and natural cork grips with six coats of spar urethane, gunmetal seat, snake guides wrapped in garnet with metallic silver trim.

Now that warrants my ISP ban on your images. Lovely. I'm definitely going to have to have one at some point.

I like it !!! Even in that color. What's the bright red band for?

Gonna let him decide if he wants his name or maybe his rank he was in the Marines or something of that nature to put on the rod area.

Ah ... that's a pretty neat design feature, then!

If he was in the Marines, though ... then the "official" colors are red and gold.

I've tried to forget everything about it, but I seem to remember those are the colors.

I didn't do it for the colors of the Marines at all, I just did it because the main wraps he wanted are Garnet (deep red) so gave him bright red to add some pop. No idea what inscription he will want to be honest. Might even want a fish decal or something I really don't know what he will go with. I just know he was on a chopper in the Marines so just tossed that out there as something he may want on it.

Understood. My comment was not a critique, just an observation.

Just remember that bright red band for when I order my next rod. It'll be a great contrast against blue !!!

So, aside from the obvious length, what characteristics differ from this rod and your garden variety 5wt? Youve mentioned on a few occasions youre really liking it.

Ive been doing some one-handed Spey casting lately with my 5wt and this rod build certainly has my interest.

A Skagit spey 5wt is very different than a normal single hand 5wt. With a rod like this you are casting two handed all the time with a sustained anchor cast and using a 400 grain 23' head connected to a running line and casting out to pretty a good distance, but can also fish in close as well with a gentle two handed roll. By changing the MOW tips that are looped to the head you can alter what and how you present the fly to the fish. Last year I was using a 10ft T8 tip all summer but now last week I just bought a 10ft floating MOW tip and a 5ft flt / 5ft T8 MOW tip for an upcoming steelhead trip.

It's a highly addictive way to fish because it opens up so much more water without the need for a backcast. I used mine last summer probably at least 75% of the time.