Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

emu

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 richmce

richmce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

after seeing the liberty mutual ins commercial , how is emu feathers for tying.

#2 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

http://www.flytyingf...5&st=0&p=568570

They are very useful for tying emu buggers.

35555713782_7b3494d001.jpg

http://www.bobsflybo...gger Family.pdf

Here are closeup photos of an emu feather vs marabou. Notice the difference. The barbs of an emu feather are stiffer and more separated than the barbs of turkey marabou. Emu tends to hold its shape when pulled through the water and collapses less than marabou does.

At the same time, it moves more than the stiffer hackle that is the normal wrapping of a wooly bugger. It makes the fly look more alive. If you palmered a wooly bugger using marabou, the marabou would collapse against the side of the fly.

47634480412_af26baca27_c.jpg

33809872328_1d94775907_c.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#3 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

A Pattern I use.  Bead head. 4-5 peacock sword for tail. Emu feather palmer up hook after tip tied in.

Many pan fish on this.

Rick

#4 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

Kind of off topic, but I absolutely HATE those Liberty Mutual commercials. I hit the mute button every time one comes on. That little "Liberty" jingle at the end drives me right up a wall. I especially hate it when a woman standing in front of the Statue of Liberty complains that insurance companies raise rates because of accidents; hello, that's what insurance companies do! It is how they exist. If they did not raise rates on potential accident prone drivers, they would eventually go out of business. We may not like it, but "News flash lady, that's what they do!"

My GF says I am becoming a curmudgeon. She might be right. But I don't give a damn.

Joe

#5 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

I was given a bunch of emu feathers  a many years ago.  Really didn't  know what to do with them.  I was still tying mainly trout flies then.  So I tied up the cycle.  I didn't take these pictures. 

Nymph

Emu Nymph.jpg

Emerger

Emu Emerger.jpg

Dun(?)

Emu Dun.jpg

I did catch some trout on them, but they're pretty ugly.   Haven't used them in years

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,253 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

I have some Emu ... from a feather duster I bought at Bed-Bath-and-Beyond.

The only material tied on a size 12 hook, it makes for a neat, little, buggy looking ... thing.

I think I have pictures on my home computer ... I'll check when I get there.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 richmce

richmce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:38 PM

nice replies, thanks

#8 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:55 AM

I used to do veterinary work for some Emu farmers when that was the craze. I earned that money. They run like deer and strike like snakes, and kick like mules. Unfortunately, the Emu commercials will probably bring the craze back. And yes XVIguage, we are all a little set in our ways and develop intense dislikes as we "mature." Several curmudgeons on this site, including me. My kids think it is funny.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#9 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:18 AM

dont muck with a cassowary

https://www.cnn.com/...-man/index.html

signature-bar.jpg

Think BEFORE you assume!