Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ejcrist

Bush Pig Streamer Materials

There's a pattern I'd like to tie called the Bush Pig. It's a nice looking streamer that I believe originated from a fellow (bloke) in Australia. Here's the link: http://www.flyangler.com.au/FLYANGLER60/pdf/BUSHPIG.pdf

Anyway, the pattern calls for Tiewell Ghost Fibre and DNA Holofusion for the body. I have plenty of Holofusion but apparently the Ghost Fibre isn't available at any of the popular fly tying supply places I know of online or in stores locally. From the pictures it's hard to tell what we have available here in the U.S. that's close enough - it looks like any number of synthetic fibers I'm familiar with but of course I can't tell it's texture, etc. Does anyone know where to get this material, or has anyone used a substitute successfully?

Thanks, Gene

You may wish to call Fly Tyers Dungeon and speak with Mad Scientist. He may know the generic product or a close fascimile. He carries stuff that resembles it, although I don't have a great picture of the pattern via this device.

Very cool fly and welcome to the forum. Speaking for many here, we would enjoy more details and photos of your results.

Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with this material.

However I found out that it is polypropylene and that it does not absorb water. I found it called Roman Moser Ghost Fibre and JMC Ghost fiber.

I couldn't find a local vendor either only across the pond.

Check out attached link for poly bear, maybe this would work.

http://www.feather-craft.com/poly-bear

From the looks of the fly on the link ... you could, probably, use any of the craft fur versions available.

Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with this material.

However I found out that it is polypropylene and that it does not absorb water. I found it called Roman Moser Ghost Fibre and JMC Ghost fiber.

I couldn't find a local vendor either only across the pond.

Check out attached link for poly bear, maybe this would work.

http://www.feather-craft.com/poly-bear

I think you're right about the Poly Bear being plenty close enough. I'll order some of that and see how she turns out.

I also thought about just using all Holofusion but I'm guessing that would be a little flashier than the pattern calls for. I think using craft fur would would result in the opposite - too little flash. As far as action is concerned I think Holofusion would be the same as the ghost fiber since they're both in the original pattern but craft fur might be a little too stiff.

Maybe we're thinking of different things. The craft fur I have is one of the softest, most "flowing" fibers in my cache. It's the one I use the least, because of it's propensity to wrap around the hook.

Maybe we're thinking of different things. The craft fur I have is one of the softest, most "flowing" fibers in my cache. It's the one I use the least, because of it's propensity to wrap around the hook.

No you're right, I'm thinking of the wrong thing - I'm thinking of that "Streamer" hair or whatever they call it that they sell at Bass Pro. Craft fur should work very well. In fact I think I'm going to tie one using it - might be even better. It dawned on me when I went to get some out of my stash to tie a very similar baitfish pattern. There's so many kind of furs, hairs, etc. nowadays that I lose track of what's what. This is going to get tough with aging.

I think I found the closest thing to it that has just the right amount of flash. Flytire was on the right track. DNA Frosty Fish Fiber looks to me to be the exact same thing. I believe the FFF with Holofusion would do the trick.