Fly Tying
bulb

Heavy wire nymph hooks (carp hooks?)

Hey folks just rounding off a 4 month fly-fishing trip in new zealand (will make a long post about it in flyfishing section when i get back home). One thing i discovered whas that dozens of flies i had tied in preparation were almost useless as the fish would simply straighten the hook. A bit frustrating (but a nice problem to have at the same time). I previously tied alot on kamasan b100 and they all got straigtened, Six months ago i switched to b110 which have been holding up ok. I tied a dozen nymphs on some carp hooks i had laying around which performed very well. My question is if you guys have any tips on hooks/companies/ebay deals for some very heavy wire hooks suitable for nymphs, I'm looking for sizes 8-12, couple hundred each.

Tight lines

Hugo

I'm just curious, what rig are you fishing for carp that you're straightening this many hooks? I fish a 7wt 90% of the time with 8-10lb fluoro tippet, and I've never had a hook straightening issue. As for hooks, I use DaiRiki 135's for a lot of my carp flies. It's a heavy scud style hook. Most fish I catch range from 24-34", with a lot of 30-31" fish, and they've never straightened that hook.

Look at the Fulling Mill hooks in 3x strong.

http://www.fullingmill.com/Products-US/Fulling-Mill-US/FM-H-W-Champ-B-Less-Hook-Black-Nickel-S10-US

There are also a few other manufacturers that make a 3x strong hook that they rate for salmon and steelhead. So I think they should hold the New Zealand brown and rainbow trout.

Not surprised you straightened B100 which are about the same as the TMC2487 which is really meant for dries/emergers, and easy to straighten given the right circumstances. The B110 is more like the TMC2457 or the aforementioned and cheaper Dai-Riki 135, or Umpqua U202. Another hook style you might look at are the egg patterns hooks such as the TMC105 or Dai-Riki 155, which are straight-eye, short shanked, and 2XH. Finally if you really want to up your game (and cost) you could look into something like the Owner SSW which are pricey but meant for saltwater and quite strong.

I second whatfly's recommendations of the TMC2457 or the similar Dai-Riki and Umpqua models. I was having trouble with standard wire nymph hooks straightening on some of the extremely strong strains of rainbows we have in my area. I changed to 2X wire hooks and I can't remember ever straightening one out since. With short shanked hooks like these I don't feel there's any need to go stouter than 2X wire, unless you're expecting trout over 10 pounds.

Thanks a bunch for the input guys, I've had a similar experience with the kamasan b110 sprialspey, the 2x wire really held up well. The only problem I've had with the b110 is that it sometimes breaks clean off right in the hook bend, but i think this is due to snagging rocks on the back cast since its mostly happened with dryflies on rock-and-stone type rivers. Still a bummer when you realize that you've been fishing a dry without a hook bend :P

Cream i think you might have skimmed through my post a bit or I've been unclear, to clarify I've been fishing for trout only and my flies tied on lighter wire hooks (like kamasan b110) haven't been doing so well. I mentioned carp hooks because i really liked some that i picked up a while back and used for nymphs, super strong wire and the extra weight is nice too.

Finite and Whatfly thanks for the tips, i'll look into those hooks, they all look tasty :)

I found some pretty cheap carp hooks on ebay that i might try bying just to see what i get, my line of reasoning is that since i'm looking for thick wire hooks small imperfections in the tempering isn't as fatal compared to smaller, thinner wire hooks and if the tempering is completely off i'll just throw the faulty hook, the very low price per hooks makes up for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-100PCS-8245-Barbed-Carp-Fishing-Hook-High-Carbon-Steel-Black-Hook-2-4-6-8-/322333283938?var=&hash=item4b0c8f9662:m:mGv8ap_-GObA_V-H4sHFHSg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-TFSH-G-Fishing-Hooks-with-Barbed-2-4-6-8-10-TEFLON-Coated-Carp-Hook-/122170223046?var=&hash=item1c71e9a9c6:m:mETGnbmdGOagn1sfMUJhJ1A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-BOX-High-Carbon-Steel-Carp-Fishing-Hook-with-Hole-Barb-and-Barbless-/252484081749?var=&hash=item3ac9395855:m:m5zaR4h3HOBYVBiR1_28XGQ

It also seems that kamasan doens't make the b110 in sizes larger than 10?