Fly Tying
xvigauge

Braided Loop Line Conncectors

We all know that having a loop at the end of your fly line makes adding or changing leaders much easier. I have tried the braided loop line connectors to be a good thing, but trying to install one on the end of the fly line I found to be very difficult. The youtube videos made it look easy, but for me, I just could not make them work. So, I solved the problem by taking the opposite end on the braided loop, and tying it onto the fly line with a nail knot. It worked just fine, is strong, and I have a permanent loop for attaching a leader. Laugh if you will, but it worked for me, and with all tips or suggestions, YMMV.

Joepost-61897-0-59143100-1561242972_thumb.jpg

I've never had luck with the braided connectors, they always seem to come loose for whatever reason. Now I make a loop on the fly line, secure it down with several wraps of strong thread, whip finish and coat with super glue. This does leave a tag end that can catch on eyelets but has never really been a big problem. I tried UV instead of super glue, but never felt that it was secure as I have had it slide off the loop a couple times.

I have used both the braided loops and a standing loop at the end of my fly lines for more than 30 years!! 15 or 20lb Amnesia makes a good connection with a perfection loop on the leader end and a nail knot on the fly line end - a little tricky to make a neat nail knot but it works great!!

The only reason I am using the braided loop connectors at all is because someone gave me a handful of them and I hate to throw them away.

Joe

Being the miser that I am, I've never bought those loops. I've attached leader to fly line in various ways, over the years.

1. Used a sewing needle to thread the leader through the fly line, then knotted it where it emerged. Problem: I love that system, but it's not good for heavier weight leaders. When I started using 14# test leaders, it wasn't a good system anymore.

2. Trim the end of the fly line with a taper. Make a loop in the fly line and super glue the taper down. Start wrapping the line as if tying a fly and cover the taper completely. Whip finish and apply cement. Problem: The wraps stiffened the line, and it would crack open and separate where the wraps ended.

3. The system I am using now ... I nail knot a loop of 65# test braid super line to the end of the fly line. The braid is so limp, it's easy to tie the double line into a nice, tight nail knot. So far, I've had no problems with this method of attachment.

I find it odd that you had any trouble with braided mono loops, they're so easy to install. Slide one on, then tie a nail knot out of 3X mono or something similar near the frayed end, clip any of the frayed ends sticking out beyond the nail knot, and you're done. If you want a smoother knot you can coat the nail knot with UV knot sense or something similar, but it's just fine without it.

that photo above has to be one hell of a hinge when casting

you dont have to thread the fly line into the entire length of the braided loop

i cut the connector to a managable length and add a couple of nail knots

Braided-Loop.jpg

Amen flytire!

Those loops last forever and done right never come free. The loops in lines from the factory fray.

If the nail knot is the obstacle -- it is easy and shouldn't be-- get a nail knot tool and the job is done.

Rocco

I must be the only one that doesn't like loops, I use them because I read how great they are and after the effort of install just never got around to cutting them off. iirc the kind of braid loops I got came with shrink tube. Some I ended up with a constrictor knot like fiytire's, which is the best way I found of using them.

I thought before using them that they would be too limp and after five or ten years I am convinced they are a detriment, but I change leader tops so infrequently that I have never got around to cutting them off. Actually I had them in the tackle for years before installing them

I also tried whip finishing a loop in the line, that was better than the braid imo. And I nail knotted 25# Maxima to the line and tied a central draft loop (aka perfection loop) about 5-6" from the nail knot- this in my opinion is the best loop method.

One day when I'm energetic and the weather is bad for fishing I will remove loops from all lines and go back to nail knots, but it's not high priority.

Braided loops are strong and they do go through the guides smoothly (once every outing on average) and to the best of my memory last several years, but I won't buy or make more of them.

heres a photo from 10 years ago

i also used crazy glue and the heat shrink tubing thats comes with the loops

sorry for not putting in the nail knots

looptoloopconnection.jpg

For years all of my lines came with a loop which has worked fine until I replace the line. However, if a loop was no longer functional or if I purchase line without the loop, and considering I change entire leaders once per year at most, I would just nail knot the leader to the fly line and zap it with solarez.

Do you guys change entire leaders that often? Guess I assumed most people rebuild leaders as they shorten.

I make loops on the line fi they do not come with them. Wrap the loop with thread .

I have heat shrink tubing that I put on it t after glueing.

I also cut the end of the line at a 45 degree angle which helps decrease bulk.

Rick

Do you guys change entire leaders that often? Guess I assumed most people rebuild leaders as they shorten.

I tie my own leaders and reconstruct as conditions dictate, the butt section is good for 3-500 days fishing (or not, but..), so the loops were an experiment for me; aka "learning opportunity" Most years the only part of a trout leader that gets replaced in one season is the tippet. My son on the other hand buys expensive extruded leaders and replaces them a couple times a day.

Any new lines I buy in future will not have loops. Not a deal breaker, I have nippers.

I change tippets when they get too short from re-tying. I only change leaders when they get an air knot, get frayed/UV burnt or they get coil memory.

Still, it's nice to be able to change one quickly and easily when necessary. Thus, I have loops on my fly lines.