Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bugsy

Too frequent bumping of polls

Must polls be set up so that the thread gets bumped to the top every time someone votes (or changes their vote)?

The way it is, there is a continual presence of old polls living on the first page. Some get bumped daily even though there hasn't been an actual reply for days, weeks or longer. One poll from 2004 hasn't had a reply for over six years, but there it sits on page one,...just because someone voted.

IMO, with rare exception (none come to mind), a vote is meaningless unless it has a reply to support it with additional information. It makes no difference to me if someone chooses Uni as their favorite thread brand unless they bother to explain why. Same is true for rotary vs non-rotary, favorite vise, or just about any other poll that comes to mind.

This may come across as a trifling gripe to some, so I apologize for any negative tone. I otherwise enjoy the forum, but I believe the bumping of polls with no need for reply contributes to a cluttered and less interesting first page.

Negative tone? I do believe that is exactly what this section of the forum..Site Help and Suggestions...is meant to be for! I think you have a very valid point too, now whether there is any way to change it to only "bump" if there is a reply involved....is a matter for better minds than mine... :lol:

Murray

I'll go a bit against the current here. While I agree it is a annoying to see the same polls pop up over and over, it is better than seeing the same question asked over and over. In other words, maybe the favorite vise poll appearing in the first page encourages a few vise-seekers to read before posting the ever popular "which vise should I buy?" If you think about it from the point of view of a new visitor, it might look a bit different. Also, keep in mind that each time the poll appears that means another member has voted. So the poll is actually continuing to acquire data. That might not happen if it fell back to page #139.