Fly Tying
CSB1

The Feather Emporium

Has anyone had any dealings with them lately, also wondering if they have a retail outlet in Madison?

words of caution: dont bother (theres too many negative comments on multiple fly tying forums to warrant buying from him anymore)

many more reputable online sellers are available for the same and better products and customer service

ive googled his address and it just comes up as a residential house. must be a one man basement operation

Many are, and still deliver high quality goods and services at reasonable prices on a professional basis. Its a case by case thing IMO. Delivery time, I grant, is often a little slower in small scale operations

Rocco

I tied at two conclaves in Wisconsin this past month. The guy from Feather Emporium was at both with all types of hackle. I can't figure him out because he clearly has product to sell, yet his Better Business Bureau rating is "F".

Ive been screwed by him twice. I decided to give the company a 2nd chance and I got cussed out when I said that I thought 4 months was a little too long to wait for my product after paying. Then he said he needed more money than I paid 4 months prior to send me out the products. Never ever will I buy from him again. Im willing to give people second chances but not a 3rd.

​Hi CSB1, I've placed 3 orders with Feather Emporium in 2020, the products are high quality many with unique colors. My last order of 2 capes was placed 2/19 and received 2/27, no problems here!

Stick with folks who have a good rep. You reap what you sow, so this guy earned his rep. I love flyfishfood, they are on the cutting edge of really cool flies, have great sales, and when you order something you get it! Unfortuntaley I didn't follow my own best instincts, and Im waiting on some thread I ordered. Im not happy, should have known better and I wont make that mistake again.

Mike

A couple of years ago I had a complaint about FE. But later I decided to try him again because he appeared to have something no one else had and Ive got to say the transaction went without any complaint, Ive since purchased from him one other time. I didnt risk a large some of money of course out of caution. I would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt. I might add I have absolutely no connection with FE.

Several years ago I ordered a Whiting Hen cape from the man and when I received it, it came in a generic bag and nothing to identify it as Whiting, which would have been OK had the quality been there but the quality was definitely not Whiting. Delivery time was lengthy as well and so will not order again.

Several years ago I ordered a Whiting Hen cape from the man and when I received it, it came in a generic bag and nothing to identify it as Whiting, which would have been OK had the quality been there but the quality was definitely not Whiting. Delivery time was lengthy as well and so will not order again.

That was my orginal complaint when I ordered a cree cape for a lot of money. But when I checked with Whiting they said it was one of theirs but didnt specify the quality. I suspect it was a second even though whiting said they didnt sell any. But when I wrote again to whiting they didnt ever reply. I was offered my money back, but since FE seemed to have a history of not refunding I decided to just keep the cape. My couple of orders since have been for low value items.

This thread hurts because FE has such a great selection of product at fair (not bargain) prices. I did buy an expensive cree cape from him and it fantastic. I've tied hundred of flies of all sizes with it and it's still going even if looking bare in the middle section. Also bought some size 26-30 Whiting 100 packs and the were fantastic quality and length. Now he has some things I'd like but so many bad reports on so many boards have me kind of reluctant to take that chance. Everything I've gotten from him is quality. Lately I've had disappointments with name brand feathers from other suppliers and hareline and Trout Hunters have sent some poor quality items lately. I think I'll like suggested and give Blue Ribbon in CO a call and tell them what I'm looking for and see how that works out. I don't have unlimited funds by any means but I don't mind paying premium prices for premium product. When I pay a full price for inferior product that does upset me.