Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

tie in groups

Here is something that I have found really helpful when it comes to tying a new pattern. I always try to tie in groups of 6 when doing a new pattern and each time I notice a few mistakes and then correct it on the next one. By the time I reach 6 I usually have a fly that looks a helluva lot better than the 1st attempt.

I use to have the habit of jumping from one pattern to the next and I never really got the pattern down before going to the next one.

Of course the more experience you have you can cut the number per pattern down because you can pick up new patterns easier.

great advice Will....if you look closely at each fly as you finisht...you will noitice little differences and improvements with each fly!! Great info!!

My problem is, I have about 68 million flies all over my tying table, in my boxes, and in storage boxes.

Out of the vast majority of these, there are only 3 of each! rolleyes.gif

Good Tip.

I ussually tie 3 or 4.

That gives me a good idea on technique. Being critical of your tying helps you tie better.

I like to tie in small groups at first (3-4), to get the pattern down, but when I'm tying a pattern I know I will use, I do a full dozen at one sitting. Tying a dozen you start to find ways to save time and do it more efficiently. For instance, when you do a dozen, by the end you'll know exactly how much dubbing to do a thorax without taking some off or needing more, you'll know exactly the best way to pinch deerhair to get a wing of the right length, etc. I like to experiment with new patterns a LOT, so when I can crank out the bread-and-butter patterns quickly I have more time to putter around with weird new flies. Which, of course, usually end up in my reject box at the end of the season.

I usualy tie in groups of 4 to 6 on all my flies, anything more and I lose focus. My problem when it comes to new patterns is that my first one looks realy good (no Joke it does), but the next two look like shit. usually by the 5th one I'm back on track.

Don't think I could ever make it as a pro tier, but then again I'm in it for the joy of catching on my on creations punk.gif

Jim

Sign in to follow this