Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

fishing and scouting report Chokolskee - first trip after Irma

Go to this thread for the full report since I didn't do any fly-fishing this time... In short the fishing is outstanding with little evidence that the outer islands sustained much damage from hurricane Irma.

Chokoloskee Island and Everglades City are another matter since they got very badly flooded (and most there have little or no insurance....). Electricity is back up now and this report contains both the good and bad of the recovery process. It does appear that we've lost Glades Haven for the next year or two (and the folks I talked to were skeptical they'd ever re-open...

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/fishing-scouting-report-chokoloskee-29-sept-2017.47905/

Based on the colorings of those fish it seems the water must be pretty clear down there. It is similar up here in the Big Bend. Before the storm, the water out on the flats was like coffee and the fish were real dark

post-18514-0-12370300-1506720442_thumb.jpgpost-18514-0-86694200-1506720451_thumb.jpg

The eye turned inland and missed our west coast but there was an incredible pull from the wind and current and all the water was sucked out. The Steinhatchee river, which is a pretty good sized river for these parts, was completely dry except for the channel in the middle. Floating docks were sitting on mud. I guess all the freshwater got sucked out and salty ocean water came back in because when I was out last weekend it was all of a sudden gin clear. I've never seen it clear up so quickly, it usually does so gradually over weeks. The fishing was even better than before though, but the fish were brighter (I didn't get any pictures of those for some reason but I had 23" trout and 23" red that weren't quite silver but were much brighter than the earlier ones). Whatever happened, it seems the fishing all up the west coast is great right now

The next four or five days down here - we'll be in rain, storms, nothing bad but not exactly fish-able days so it will be a while before I'm out on the water again... Like most guides down I've been eating up my savings these past weeks. It will be good to have the kind of weather folks want to fish in now that we know the fish are there....