Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

What can I use for soft-hackle fly silk bodies?

I have Sylvester Nelmes The Soft-Hackled Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles book and am trying to accumulate the silk thread and floss. I have no problem finding the YLI silk thread in the needed colors (orange, yellow, green and red), but am unable to find any YLI silk floss. Is there a substitute material I can use, or just wrap and wrap the body with silk thread until it's the proper dimension?

pearsall silk thread and floss

Been there, done that... can't find all of the colors I want/need, and the spools are tiny, compared to YLI... thanks anyway!

Alec Jackson makes a premium Japanese silk floss in a wide variety of colors. Saw it on a recent trip to Bob Marriott's, their tying expert highly recommended, looks nice but I didn't buy.

pearsall silk thread and floss

Been there, done that... can't find all of the colors I want/need, and the spools are tiny, compared to YLI... thanks anyway!

okay. good luck. happy tying

Pearsall's is traditional, but there's no reason to limit yourself. Almost any Embroidery supplier can get you a variety silk floss. There is nothing about fly tying that requires special materials.

What you aren't likely to find is a dedicated fly tying supplier that carries a wide variety of silk flosses. Most of us use rayon floss (Danville) for our classic ties, and even then, the color selection is somewhat limited. I get most of mine from Mike Hogue at Badger Creek (eFlytier.com). I can also recommend John McLain's FeathersMC.com. John carries some Alec Jackson silk, but he's closing it out in favor of JEC silk. Something else to check out.

Personally, though I use the Pearsall's silk thread a lot (I just bought a 40 lot purchase at 1/4 street price), I don't like their floss. I don't know if you're tying commercially or what but those small spools will tie a heck of a lot of fly bodies and are the traditional thread used on. Personally I don't like Pearsall's floss. I have a few spools I ordered to try and it's kind of funny weave. I used more of it by pulling off single strands then the whole floss. For the best (IMO) floss for flies, it has to the Alec Jackson on the tube. It's also $$ but I've tied a lot of flies off the three spools I bought and there's a lot left on each. Here's just one link to the Alec Jackson and price is around what you're going to find anywhere unless you luck out.

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/alec-jacksons-premium-japanese-silk-floss.html

Pearsall's is traditional, but there's no reason to limit yourself. Almost any Embroidery supplier can get you a variety silk floss. There is nothing about fly tying that requires special materials.

What you aren't likely to find is a dedicated fly tying supplier that carries a wide variety of silk flosses. Most of us use rayon floss (Danville) for our classic ties, and even then, the color selection is somewhat limited. I get most of mine from Mike Hogue at Badger Creek (eFlytier.com). I can also recommend John McLain's FeathersMC.com. John carries some Alec Jackson silk, but he's closing it out in favor of JEC silk. Something else to check out.

Do I really need floss? Can't I just wrap multiple layers of silk thread to make the body? (I figure that since floss is composed of multiple silk threads, that I could just replicate it).

Some use embroidery floss. It's made up with about 8 to 10 strands. To use, cut sections and separate it into single strands. It's readily available in hundreds of colors, and very inexpensive.

Do I really need floss? ....

Well, that depends on what your are tying. Floss is traditional for some applications. Basically, floss is un-spun thread. It lays flat, and can even be spread out a bit to get a thinner layer. With burnishing, it can appear to be a single, smooth layer. Some threads can be untwisted and do that, but not many.

I don't know what you are planning to tie, but, for like a Partridge and Orange, thread is normally used, because you want segmentation. Smooth floss bodies are generally done where you are going to add a contrasting rib, as in traditional wet flies or full dress salmon flies.

For soft hackles, which you mention in the subject line, I would probably just use thread.

Do I really need floss? ....

Well, that depends on what your are tying. Floss is traditional for some applications. Basically, floss is un-spun thread. It lays flat, and can even be spread out a bit to get a thinner layer. With burnishing, it can appear to be a single, smooth layer. Some threads can be untwisted and do that, but not many.

I don't know what you are planning to tie, but, for like a Partridge and Orange, thread is normally used, because you want segmentation. Smooth floss bodies are generally done where you are going to add a contrasting rib, as in traditional wet flies or full dress salmon flies.

For soft hackles, which you mention in the subject line, I would probably just use thread.

Great... I needed someone to validate what I thought would work...thanks everybody... I really appreciate it!

go to joanns fabrics and get some 'wooly nylon' or 'surger' thread and some permanent markers in the magic colors you need

thwl9101.jpg

wooly nylon or surger thread is the same as uni stretch and much cheaper in the long run (1000m spool

however if your tying for tradition or a museum, then consider getting the requisite materials otherwise substitute

Flytire beat me to it, Bulky Nylon at Joann Fabrics.1000 yard spool less than $4.00 when you use the right coupon. It comes in all the colors anyone could want, and its the same as UNI stretch, at 40 cents per 100 yard spool. That's all I use for soft hackles. The fish don't know silk from Shineola.