Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Materials

Here is something I learned form the masters from this site. A while back a person asked for a pattern for a purple atlantic salmon fly. I thought about what I had. I then thought, oh yea, I used that hackle on that fly and so on. The tip. Do what the pro's do. They sort all there hackles by size and store them. All there feathers are sorted stored and they know what they have and exactly where it is. Someday Ill do just that with all my capes and feathers ect.

you would be amazed if you walked into my tying room. hardly any feathers at all visible. everything is stored in drawers by type of feathers and so on/ married wing materials all in one drawer. hackle in one drawer but the craziest thing is you would be shocked at the numbers of matched pairs i have stored in individual small ziplocks. when i recieve a new skin or bag of feathers , i dump it all on my desk once quarantine is over and then begin sorting matched pairs. each pair is then put in it's own little baggie and stored in it's rightful place. all parrot in certain drawers. pheasant and so on it it's own drawers.

i don't even leave tensils, silks, flosses or threads out. these also are stored in small ziplocks then put in drawers or their own trays . all my drawers have crystal moth repellent too in them.

when i'm tying a fly i remove what i need and it goes right back in it;s place before i apply the material. never ever anything laying around but thats just the way i do things. never any dust on any materials and i always wash my hands before i begin tying so no unwanted oils or anything get on the expensive silks , flosses or feathers.

i'm amazed at some of the pics i've seen of tying areas on this forum. i don't know how some of you guys do it with piles of stuff laying all over the area you work in. when using the japanese silks and you have anything laying around, the silk is sure to grab on to something when making wraps on the body of the fly. this works for me, when i need anything i can go right to it. i guess from doing it so much it almost becomes instinct that i know where everything is. i never have to dig thru stuff to find what i'm looking for. quick and easy and the tying area stays clean and free of unwanted clutter. maybe it;s just me being silly about that but thats just my 2 cents worth.

Bud

once quarantine is over

How do you quarantine new feathers Bud?

I think I just figured out how you pump out so many great flys, by keeping organized. My tying room is still getting the finishing touches but I've already noticed that I am much more efficient when everything is where it is supposed to be and ready for use

i have a sealed container all materials go into for a few days. i have a few sheets of paper towel then under the paper is lots and lotas of moth ball crystals. when i open this box the smell is so strong it makes your eyes burn and what evers in those feathers or skin or mounted bird if theres anything dies after a few mintues.

organization is the key. once you keep your things organized it becomes second nature and you know where everything is. once you take something out, put it right back in it's place. when you need it again you'll kow exactly where it is, Bud

Sign in to follow this