Fly Tying
Hot Tuna

S & M anyone??

How may of you folks use and like S & M bobbins? Here's a little history since I live in S & M bobbin land.

S & M bobbins, the ones that AK Best likes to recommend, were originally invented at S & M Fly Tying in Bristol, CT by Walt Stockman and Charlie Malley. When the business was sold to my friends John Marona and Kevin Pelletier; they also purchased the patent to the bobbin. John currently owns the patent. John just closed his flyshop Quiet Sports but still will distribute the bobbins through Ebay from time to time. His user ID on Ebay is irishsetter1. I've been using these bobbins for over 30 years and love them. They are inexpensive so you can have multiple bobbins with different sizes and colors of thread ready to go. There you have it...

Reporting from S & M bobbin land,

Hot Tuna

John has ones with ceramic tubes but they are more expensive than the standard bobbins. I use the standard regular length ones. There's also a longer tube length one for folks who ties a lot of streamers and saltwater flies. Hope that helps....

Hot Tuna

I tie saltwater streamers a lot and my bobbins are feeling the stress of kevlar and mono being pulled tight. Do I order directly through him via email?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Send him an Email..he already knows that I posted this in here for him. He's a super guy and a true outdoorsman. You guys can work something out I'm sure...I bought 5 short stem bobbins when he was closing the store and he gave me a super price but I've accumulated a few chips with him.

Have a great tying season and holiday,

John