Fly Tying
Joe Hard

thread rack

I saw a realy cheap, under $4.00 thread rack.It was made out of plastic and it holds thirty or so spools. I am going to build one from dowels into my desk so I did not buy it.

I have 3 of them, for a total of 96 spool capacity.

The only complaint I have (and we must keep in mind that it was designed to hold sewing thread) is that anything larger than standard sewing thread spools cannot be placed next to anything without at least a little interference.

With 96 pegs, though, I haven't run out of space yet.

Cheers!

Gary (besides, the white plastic matches my white tying bench... it's all rather spanky lookin' if I do say so myself....)

Got two of them myself, there well worth there value. However guidebrod spools dont seem to sit on the pegs, oh well I mostly tie with UNI anyway.

I bought a wooden rack awhile ago at a fabric store, filled it up over time and picked up another. Almost time for a third!

user posted image

This is what I made because I could'nt find anything. 2 pieces of an old futon, 2 rods of dowel. Old stain I had laying around. All told I think this cost 3-4 bucks to make. I made a second one without the upright in the back at the same time. It holds 52 spools.

Gilly, Awsome work. I have been wanting to do the same thing for a couple years now. Have been keeping all my spools in clear plastic tubes. Easy to see, but a pain to dump out, get the spool, put all the others back in... Thanks for the great photo, good stuff.