Fly Tying
Capt Bob LeMay

Baby tarpon at night... Biscayne Bay

The babies up to around 30lbs are feeding hard now. We went four for seven last night, mostly on a nine weight rod. Pics and a proper report will follow in a day or two. Today I've got to tie up another batch of Night flies to get ready for tonight's trip. One other small chore, last night our last fish wasn't a baby at all. We never saw her but my angler hooked up under a bridge with the same 2/0 Night fly we'd been using and almost instantly we were off to the races. Even after I fired up the motor and chased after her she almost spooled a reel with 200 yards of backing - still never bothering to do a single jump. I'll be loading new backing and a brand new fly line on that reel as well today... after she managed to cut us off on something - still almost 200 yards away.... Think it might be a good idea to use a bit heavier rod as well... A 9wt is perfect for fish up to almost 40lbs but seriously out-gunned on a big girl.

Good to hear Bob. I was at flamingo yesterday (outside the park) and found a lot of baby tarpon rolling, just didn't want to eat a fly.