Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Major League Baseball

Manny Machado - $300 million (10 years)

Bryce Harper - $330 million (13 years)

Mike Trout - $430 million (12 years)(being finalized)

how much higer can salaries go?

I think with fiat currency and debt based monetary systems that the value of the dollar will continue to shrink til all salaries are in the billions, it seems to be open ended by design. (as long as we keep a population growth above a certain level)

I guess advertising money pays the wages for ball players?

I don't make a good spectator and so know nothing about why others would pay anything to watch. American football is even more unbelievable to me.

While I am a baseball fan, I do think sports salaries are just absolutely ridiculous. It's a job that should require a good pay because it does take hard work, dedication, and being away from your family for half the year, but the amounts they are getting is just really sickening in the overall scheme of true importance.

Think of it as profit sharing, it won't seem so ridiculous. They get paid as much for talent as for work.

Think of it as profit sharing, it won't seem so ridiculous. They get paid as much for talent as for work.

Still ridiculous even that way IMO. 35 million per year, to play a "game". I personally just don't feel a sport is something that should carry such a monumental importance/price is all. Just my opinion.

Its not just a game at that level.

Take any other profession -- say medicine and law. The really top stars in major urban centers write their own tickets too. End up way ahead of their peers -- especially those settled in bush league towns.

The earnings of top players you build a team around can be understood -- maybe not justified -- in terms of the top dollar earnings from TV ads, high prices charged to the in park fans; and the wild sports paraphenalia racket. Not too mention the hyped value of the franchise on the resale market.

But a banjo hitting, slick fielding, second baseman in the bigs still IMO is not worth the going salaries these days.

Rocco

Not a game at all, it's performance art or something like that- entertainment for the sake of entertainment.

Rocco, how you going put on a show with no fielders? Do something like the "King and his Court"?

I'm not gonna waste time with going back and forth about it, but no matter how you want to dress it up, it's still a game no matter how fancy you try to make it. And that's all I'll say about it.

Its not just a game at that level.

Take any other profession -- say medicine and law. The really top stars in major urban centers write their own tickets too. End up way ahead of their peers -- especially those settled in bush league towns.

The earnings of top players you build a team around can be understood -- maybe not justified -- in terms of the top dollar earnings from TV ads, high prices charged to the in park fans; and the wild sports paraphenalia racket. Not too mention the hyped value of the franchise on the resale market.

But a banjo hitting, slick fielding, second baseman in the bigs still IMO is not worth the going salaries these days.

Rocco

I'm not much on lawyers but a few years ago the combined salaries of the top three pitchers in Canada was higher than the money spent on cancer research. Something wrong with this picture.

Trout- $35.8M

Arenado - $32.5M

Machado - $30M

Harper - $25.3M

The question is... will they all put out, or will they all play prima donna?

Manny & Bryce, hard to say. Mike & Nolan... they'll give it all they've got.

Some people would say I'm over paid. I don't pay players so I don't give a crap what they get paid or how their pay corresponds or relates to world problems. I love sports, I love democracy, I love free markets, I love capitalism and I'm thrilled to death that Harper is a Phillie for the next 13 years. God bless America and let's go Fightin Phils!

let's go Fightin Phils!

I would love to say lets go Tigers, but we sucked with all the changes last season. Now our only bright spot for this season (Michael Fulmer) just announced today he has to have Tommy Johns surgery. So I think a fork has been stuck in our season this year before it even startedsad.png

I stopped watching baseball in 1997 when the already overpaid crybabies went on strike for more.

I stopped watching most other organized sports about a decade ago. I completely stopped watching with Kaepernick "took a knee" and the NFL refused to boot his butt out.

As with Steeldrifter's comment above, you can rationalize it all you want ... it's a game.

I don't watch any of them, baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer ... all games, played by spoiled brats.

Advertising does NOT pay all of their salaries, the exorbitant ticket fees fans have to pay do. Do they care? Nope, they just keep asking for more. I won't even buy drinks etc. with team logos on it ... because I don't want ANY of my money helping to support them.

I stopped watching baseball in 1997 when the already overpaid crybabies went on strike for more.

Me as well. I don't watch football or basketball either. 'Course, the first five years we were married 1980-1985 we had a 9" diagonal Hitachi B&W TV. Not much for sports. Our "big" TV is 19" and we have a 13" in the kitchen for morning news. But I have a 21" iMac monitor!

When I was a kid I'd listen to the baseball games on the radio (I could get NY and Chicago) as I did my homework. That was better IMHO.

TV games never appealed to me. I'd MUCH rather attend a high school or AA game than watch the pros. The crowd and aura add so much.

Listening to baseball over the radio puts me in a happy place. I listen when driving, cutting my grass, out on the boat and when I'm wading. I know fly fishermen like to get all sappy by eloquently saying how much they enjoy the sounds of nature but for me, listening to a good ball game while fishing is as close to heaven on earth as I can get. I'm hoping the Phils can come up with 500 million to get Trout for the next 12 years.